FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuring Eclipse to Build D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtbass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Configuring Eclipse to Build D Reply with quote

Ok, I've got Eclipse running and the eclipseD plugin installed. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get Eclipse to interact with DMD. I'm reading a ton of stuff about Ant, but it's hard to digest. Maybe I'm just impatient, but it sure would help to have some guidelines.

What do I do next? Do I use Ant, or setup DMD as an External Tool? With Ant, will I have to edit a build.xml file every time I add a file to my project? Without Ant, how would I get DMD to build a multi-module project?

Many thanks for eclipseD, and thanks in advance for any answers to these questions.

Best regards,
Garett
teqdruid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Building Reply with quote

Ant is for Java. I could be used to run DMD, but it's really not the right tool. I'm using Scons (www.scons.org) to build my D projects. It supports DMD natively. I haven't however, intergrated it into Eclipse. I just keep a console open, and run it that way.

My (near) future plans for eclipseD are integrating building, so each time you save a file, it runs dmd -c on it, collects the errors, and shows them like the Java Editor does. It could also put them in the Problems view. The other way to do it, is for me to write a Scons build tool, so Eclipse can run scons. Right now, I'm thinking the latter is the way for me to do it, since I think right now the way people are doing it is using the CDT makefile support and writing makefiles. Am I correct? Comments?
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Building Reply with quote

demmegod wrote:
I just keep a console open, and run it that way.

I set both SCons and Make up as external tools and it works fine. The output is captured to the Console view.

demmegod wrote:

My (near) future plans for eclipseD are integrating building, so each time you save a file, it runs dmd -c on it, collects the errors, and shows them like the Java Editor does. It could also put them in the Problems view. The other way to do it, is for me to write a Scons build tool, so Eclipse can run scons. Right now, I'm thinking the latter is the way for me to do it, since I think right now the way people are doing it is using the CDT makefile support and writing makefiles. Am I correct? Comments?

I would prefer running dmd -c and put the errors in Problems view. Also, hopefully, a double-click on the Problems view takes you to that file/line.

BA
teqdruid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: problems Reply with quote

Code:
I would prefer running dmd -c and put the errors in Problems view. Also, hopefully, a double-click on the Problems view takes you to that file/line.

That's the plan, plus I wanna underline the problem area, and show it on the two bars, etc...
misterpib

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, look into Markers for putting a little error icon to the left of the line where the error was made.

I've been reading up on the Eclipse API and whatnot, it's pretty slick.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sark7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Building Reply with quote

I use CDT for building. Good think that CDT can hide .obj files from project tree. And, it parses compile errors, show errors in Problems window and highlights these errors in sources. It doesn't catch DMD link errors, however.

It will be great if EclipseD will have these features.
Baldur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started to add CDT-Extensions to eclipseD.
Currently, I have only one configuration for a Windows-EXE project and not all compiler settings are supported ... but, it works Wink When I'm saving my .d file, CDT creates a makefile and compiles the complete project.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Keep it coming.

If you want me to try anything, I'd be happy to. I'm running Eclipse 3.0 on Gentoo Linux...
Baldur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work with linux, too.
Maybe I try to install a linux system with eclipse in the next days to test it.
If you want, I can mail you the current state of the extensions.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine. brad at dsource dot org
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> eclipseD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: