FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GTK, Glade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teqdruid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: GTK, Glade Reply with quote

So I spent all day yesterday porting the entire GTK headers. Not just the GTK headers, but everything that they include as well. I used h2d and the gcc preprocessor to do it, but it still took awhile. Everything except for the macros is there. EVERYTHING... it's a lot (includes GDK, Pango, ATK, ect...)

There is one known issue, however: whenever I compile the gtk module, and link it into my project, the gtk stuff segfaults. If I use the module purely as a header, and I don't compile or link it into my project it works fine. I don't have a clue why this is happening. I haven't tested the module much yet either, so there may be more issues.

I've also ported the libglade headers. This is a really useful library which is dependent on the gtk headers. For those of you not familiar, it reads XML files, and intreprets them into GTK code, and displays the widgets, so that one doesn't have to code interfaces by hand. The Glade program is used to design the interfaces, and save the XML files.

-John-

Geez... this is what I do on my first day of winter break... I need a life.
sergiodi45

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: cool Reply with quote

You did good job, thanks a lot !

libglade is absolutely great, and having a D binding to it means that we do not need DUI any more !

You just blew it away Wink
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for DUI anymore? What do you mean?

You must have misunderstood the intent of DUI. DUI is an object oriented Programming interface that uses GTK as a base.

Having GTK bindings for D does not suddenly banish DUI from usefulness. They serve different purposes.

Nonetheless, the work John Demme put into this binding set is impressive and certainly very useful, I agree.

I'm currently working on a dynamic binding version of these for DUI to make building DUI projects easier (hopefully). If the dynamic bindings for gtk work out in DUI, I'll probably add the bindings and loader libraries to this project as well for general consumption.

- John R.
sergiodi45

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: libglade Reply with quote

Well, having an "Object oriented GUI programing library based on GTK" can be usefull, I agree, but I wrote a lot of programs in C with GTK and now realize that the libglade idea (separate XML file parsed at runtime) is WAY better, and still very fast.

Basically almost any simple GUI can be created with glade a hundreds time faster than by using the library "by hand". So now we have the libglade binding I just wonder why would I use DUI... ?
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair statement. I didn't realize you were talking about libglade. I haven't used it myself.

Yet, some people may find DUI useful still.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Bindings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: