FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stability?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy_c

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Stability? Reply with quote

I compiled the example servlets then ran apache benchmark on 100 requests, this is what I got:

Program received signal SIGUSR1, User defined signal 1.
[Switching to Thread -1209555264 (LWP 19326)]
0xffffe410 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0xffffe410 in ?? ()
#1 0xbffff6c0 in ?? ()
#2 0xb7d7b7c0 in ?? ()
#3 0x00000000 in ?? ()
#4 0xb7f04f46 in __nanosleep_nocancel () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#5 0xb7f2eb0a in usleep () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#6 0x08055049 in _D5mango4base6System6System5sleepFkZv ()
#7 0x0804e554 in _D8servlets10testServerFC5mango4http6server5model9IProvider9IProviderZv ()
#8 0x0804e6f6 in _D8servlets17testServletEngineFZv ()
#9 0x0804e72c in _Dmain () at example/servlets.d:588
#10 0x080621af in main ()
(gdb)

Any ideas?

Jeremy
kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango is typically tested on Win32, so these kinds of things can sometimes get overlooked (unfortunately). The lack of D debugging info and demangling on the linux platform just made the task too hideous to bear so far, for most folks. There's two issues that have been noted before regarding multiple threads and sockets under linux:

- The sockets were not being scavanged quickly enough (by the OS) for one particular stress-test

- A sleeping thread has been seen to die a horrible death whilst waiting for a multicast packet (when the program terminated)

The issue you ran into may be related to the latter? I mean, your thread apparently broke in _nanosleep_nocancel(), for Bob's sake Shocked

I thnk this will ultimately require a solid session with valgrind (and someone who knows how to drive that software). Is this something you might be able to help with?

- Kris
jeremy_c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
I thnk this will ultimately require a solid session with valgrind (and someone who knows how to drive that software). Is this something you might be able to help with?

- Kris

I've heard of it, never used it. Hm.

Jeremy
kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy_c wrote:
kris wrote:

- Kris

I've heard of it, never used it. Hm.

Jeremy

I'd be interested to see the results of apache benchmark against a server running Win32 ... the servlet examples are not ideal, but the basic http server is exceptionally efficient (due to heavy-usage of thread-locals and slicing, it makes zero memory allocations whilst servicing a request).

For example, a 1.6GHz Pentium M (the original one) in a laptop was handling over 3000 server requests per second, and more than half the CPU was being eaten up by the stress-test-client itself.
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Ahem* It was a 1.4 GHz Pentium-M, Mr. Bell... And I think you busted it. Wink

(or maybe you were referring to your own laptop?)
kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:

I do beg your pardon, sir. Please accept my most humble and gracious apologies

Twisted Evil

(for those who don't know: JJR has been instrumental in getting Mango operating on linux. The aforementioned problems with sockets were identified and traced by JJR also)

Hey John; Doesn't this latest issue sound rather like the 'multicast-socket' problem? Where the app would throw-up on exit if there was an active multicast-listener? I'm wondering whether it might be a config-issue in the linux version of Sockets.d ... maybe it would be worth switching to Chris Miller's latest version, and trying that instead?
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
JJR wrote:

I do beg your pardon, sir. Please accept my most humble and gracious apologies

Twisted Evil

Laughing

kris wrote:
(for those who don't know: JJR has been instrumental in getting Mango operating on linux. The aforementioned problems with sockets were identified and traced by JJR also)

Oop... wasn't fishing for credits, Kris, but thanks! Embarassed

kris wrote:
Hey John; Doesn't this latest issue sound rather like the 'multicast-socket' problem? Where the app would throw-up on exit if there was an active multicast-listener? I'm wondering whether it might be a config-issue in the linux version of Sockets.d ... maybe it would be worth switching to Chris Miller's latest version, and trying that instead?

Yes, it does look very much like the same problem. Swapping in Chris' version couldn't hurt to try... Use of Phobos' thread class may be still part of the problem too. Didn't we discover that there was a bug in phobos' threading package also (on Linux specifically) that possibly related to this?

I'd like to give this another try when I get my Laptop back... might be back in a couple weeks... I'll let you know.

All the best,

John
kris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Oop... wasn't fishing for credits

Aye, but credit where it's due.

JJR wrote:
I'd like to give this another try when I get my Laptop back... might be back in a couple weeks... I'll let you know.

Sounds good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: