FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prefixing Interface Definitions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Prefixing Interface Definitions Reply with quote

SWT java source makes it obvious when a class is implementing an interface: it uses "implements" keyword.

D doesn't make it obvious that an interface is being implemented because classes implement interfaces by simply using the colon the same way as done in normal inheritance designation.

I propose that, in order to make D interface implementation obvious, we prefix all interface symbols with a 'I' as in...

public final class ImageData : ICloneableCompatibility { }

Seems standard in other places (like the dsc project Smile )

Agree or no?
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. And even though it's more clear in Java, putting the I in front is a very common practice for Java programmers. Hmmm. I wonder what Kris worked on before D?
kris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
I agree. And even though it's more clear in Java, putting the I in front is a very common practice for Java programmers. Hmmm. I wonder what Kris worked on before D?

Oh man ... busted.

I tend to prefix all interfaces in D for exactly the reason John states. Even though it has a vague whiff of, *gasp*, the unspeakable 'H' notation ...
csauls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hungarian schmungarian... I've been using prefixes since before I ever even imagined touching the Windows API or any other hungarian lib... Sometimes its just useful. When I first learned C, I tended (for example) to prefix all enum-typed variables with an 'e'. IName for interfaces is just a good convention in my mind.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: