FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initial commit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Initial commit Reply with quote

I've finally imported some sources into SVN. You can now browse them while I'm coding some sort of a GUI Cool
There's a small readme about the engine I'm creating for FragBots here: http://158.75.59.9/~h3/projects.spy
I've also written a script that generates backups for me and sends them to http://158.75.59.9/~h3/listDir.spy?viewType=detailed&path=code/heresy/backup so if you want to see the most recent versions, grab the sources from there. I'll be putting sources on SVN upon reaching milestones, the next commit could be e.g. when I have the GUI system working.

As for the TechDemo #4, I'd like to hear if it works on your machines, since rendering using VBO crashes on one of my friends' system (GF440MX, 6.14.10.5303 drivers) yet it runs anywhere else I've tested.

/* Oh, and as for the SVN problems I had, nevermind... I've now successfully used a linux box (the codeinsane.info - 158.75.59.9 server Smile) outside of the evil firewall of my ISP and it worked right away */

Last edited by h3r3tic on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

TechDemo #4 didn't run on my brother's computer. I wasn't too surprised considering his system uses a miserable shared memory version of VIA's Unichrome 3D chip. That thing hasn't got a whole lot of 3D functionality to begin with. Maybe this is a similar short-coming to that of the GF440MX, which, I believe, is a Geforce 2 era 3D GPU.

I'll try it on my laptop once I get it back from repairs (still waiting Sad ). The laptop has a Radeon 9000 32 MB in it. All your previous demos worked marvelously on it.

- JJR
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe.... I guess "VIA's Unichrome 3D" (does it even support colors ? sounds like monochrome Wink ) doesn't have Multitexturing and probably is lacking other important OpenGL features. This thing is intended to be run on GeForce - class hardware. Sure, it runs on a friend's TNT, yet at 3 fps there isn't much fun from running it Wink
Of course this demo doesn't look as nice as I'd want it to, the scene looks kind of dull at the moment, but that's gonna change when I implement some shaders Smile And surely there are some artifacts, e.g. in the bathtub - the texture coordinates were most probably wrong in 3dsmax.
Hope you get your laptop soon... I'll make sure it runs on it when it happens. I can imagine you getting it back.... <jjr> My preciousssss... </jjr> Laughing
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h3r3tic wrote:
Hehe.... I guess "VIA's Unichrome 3D" (does it even support colors ? sounds like monochrome Wink ) doesn't have Multitexturing and probably is lacking other important OpenGL features. This thing is intended to be run on GeForce - class hardware. Sure, it runs on a friend's TNT, yet at 3 fps there isn't much fun from running it Wink

Heh, "Unichrome" does sound like "monochrome." I never even thought of that. What a poor choice of names! It's definitely not Geforce level... bleah.

h3r3tic wrote:
Of course this demo doesn't look as nice as I'd want it to, the scene looks kind of dull at the moment, but that's gonna change when I implement some shaders Smile And surely there are some artifacts, e.g. in the bathtub - the texture coordinates were most probably wrong in 3dsmax.

Sounds promising! I know you can do it.

h3r3tic wrote:
Hope you get your laptop soon... I'll make sure it runs on it when it happens. I can imagine you getting it back.... <jjr> My preciousssss... </jjr> Laughing

Shocked He He He, that's very perceptive of you. That was a very fitting analogy!

[crawls back into cave mumbling to himself]

-JJR
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, got my laptop back today. Works great! phew!

Quickly gave test4 a try on the ATI Radeon 9000 32 MB card. It ran fine, although kind of slow. Frame rate was between 10-12 fps.

Otherwise, very well-done 3D scene.

Smile

- JJR
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Very Happy I'm thinking what could be the reason of the poor performance... maybe your drivers are lacking the ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension. I'll add some diagnostic info to the next demo so you can check it. Or you might just try installing new drivers and see if there's a speedup. Basically with VBO, vertex data will be stored in VRAM, boosting the performance considerably Smile
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated my drivers on Win XP. Frame rate is pretty close to a steady 13 to 13.5 fps.

...and I get an access violation/program termination when I press the <space> key.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... maybe that performance is quite good on your card actually ? The scene has 75k tris...
As for the segv /* looking at the code */ haha, oh yea, space disables the dynamics engine:
Code:
keyHandler("k_space",   delegate void(KeyState s)   { if (KeyState.PRESS == s) engine.dynamics.paused ^= true; } );

but in this demo engine.dynamics is null Laughing I didn't want to put ODE.dll in the archive so I'm not loading the dynamics subsystem and that's where the special effect comes from Wink
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h3r3tic wrote:
Hmm... maybe that performance is quite good on your card actually ? The scene has 75k tris...

I'm thinking you're right: for my 9000, it's probably not bad at all. The Radeon 9000 isn't that powerful a GPU (anymore).

h3r3tic wrote:
As for the segv /* looking at the code */ haha, oh yea, space disables the dynamics engine:
Code:
keyHandler("k_space",   delegate void(KeyState s)   { if (KeyState.PRESS == s) engine.dynamics.paused ^= true; } );

but in this demo engine.dynamics is null Laughing I didn't want to put ODE.dll in the archive so I'm not loading the dynamics subsystem and that's where the special effect comes from Wink

Aha! Well, that explains it then. Smile

-JJR
qbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i find Tech Demo #4 ? Can't seem to find an executable in SVN.

Thanks,
Charlie
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on his website... mentioned in the first post:

http://codeinsane.info/projects.spy

-JJR
qbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh !

Thx
qbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works well here, very cool Smile. I look forward to this one
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for testing Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> FragBots All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: