FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Gtk installation (for future DUI releases)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Windows Gtk installation (for future DUI releases) Reply with quote

The official Windows Gtk site http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/
now has a link for a Gtk+ installer for windows http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

Finally I say!
Future releases of DUI will rely on this Gtk installer.
This will simplify DUI installation and hopefully guaranties there are no problems with Gtk.

This seems to confirm that Gtk for windows is getting better support.

Ant
JJR

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

That should make installation a bit simpler!

Looks like C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0 is the default install location still for the dll's.

I'll be testing out "dynamic DUI" soon. Just a couple more directories to work on now: ./ggl and ./gl. Once that's done, programs using DUI will just need to link with one library: the compiled DUI.lib. On program startup, DUI will find and load symbols dynamically from these dlls much the way Derelict does with opengl32.dll and sdl.dll. Kind of simplifies the DUI experience. Smile No more multiple import libs like gktdll.lib, pangodll.lib, etc... (about 8 of them or so) to keep up with.

-JJR
Carlos

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaim also has a Windows installer for GTK+: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php#wingtk
Ant

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
Gaim also has a Windows installer for GTK+: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php#wingtk

(The first windows release of DUI used the gaim Gtk installer)

But I see that as a problem, not a solution.
Every windows Gtk application had it's own Gtk installer.
(Including DUI).

I hope gaim drops it's Gtk installer in favor of a commun one!

let's wait and see.

Ant
Carlos

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant wrote:
(The first windows release of DUI used the gaim Gtk installer)

I didn't know that.

Ant wrote:

But I see that as a problem, not a solution.
Every windows Gtk application had it's own Gtk installer.
(Including DUI).

I hope gaim drops it's Gtk installer in favor of a commun one!

let's wait and see.

Ant

While there're some great GTK+ based applications (including their respective Windows ports), I don't think their creators expect users to have GTK+ installed on Windows, so that's why (I think) they provide the libraries over and over again. It's problem, yes: I have FreeCiv and Gaim installed and both of them have the GTK+ dlls. I haven't tried to delete one of them and see if it still works, but something tells me it won't. Imagine if I had more GTK+ based applications. I just don't have enough disk space for that many copies of GTK+.

I think that's a problem with all GTK+ applications on Windows, and that's why I once suggested you if you could make DUI independent of GTK+ on Windows (like Ben has done with MinWin). GTK+ is common on linux, but not so on Windows. I still think that would be excellent for DUI (sure, more work for you too Wink ).
JJR

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a huge task! Shocked

MinWin is much smaller than DUI and can certainly afford to do it the native way. DUI gains a lot of features out of GTK+. I think that's why Ant uses it, besides, of course, the immediate cross-platform advantage.

I agree that it would be great if DUI could be native on windows, but I don't think the task is very feasible. Someone could start experimenting in that direction, though.

- JJR
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: