FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug in win_2.05: -Rn and \"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Bug in win_2.05: -Rn and \" Reply with quote

Consider this:

Code:
build main -Rn -test "-I..\imports" -XSDL -XOPENGL -XGLU
Command: 'C:\devel\D.tools\dmd\bin\dmd.exe "-op" "-ID:\project\DeeTest\imports\" "-IC:\devel\D.tools\dmd\bin\..\src\phobos" "prt\print.d" "main.d" "App.d" "main.def" "-ofmain.exe" '

This doesn't work in build_win_2.05 because of this param: "-ID:\project\DeeTest\imports\" where the last " is escaped and then the shell gives dmd it's parameters wrong.
Evidently this error only happens because of -Rn .
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bug in win_2.05: -Rn and \" Reply with quote

phoenix wrote:
Consider this:

Code:
build main -Rn -test "-I..\imports" -XSDL -XOPENGL -XGLU
Command: 'C:\devel\D.tools\dmd\bin\dmd.exe "-op" "-ID:\project\DeeTest\imports\" "-IC:\devel\D.tools\dmd\bin\..\src\phobos" "prt\print.d" "main.d" "App.d" "main.def" "-ofmain.exe" '

This doesn't work in build_win_2.05 because of this param: "-ID:\project\DeeTest\imports\" where the last " is escaped and then the shell gives dmd it's parameters wrong.
Evidently this error only happens because of -Rn .

Thanks. I never realized that the shell escaped quotes like that. I guess I've never had to use them. Ok, the obvious workaround is to use a response file (-Ry) for now until I can get a fix out.
phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm at it, is it possible to specify the exetype (dos/console, windows/gui) without using a .def file (which is basicaly one more kind of response file Razz )?
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenix wrote:
While I'm at it, is it possible to specify the exetype (dos/console, windows/gui) without using a .def file (which is basicaly one more kind of response file Razz )?

Yes.

To force a windows app, use the -gui switch. This is not needed if WinMain() is detected or a DLL is being created.

A console app is created if there is no WinMain detected and it is not a DLL being created.
phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:
phoenix wrote:

Yes.

To force a windows app, use the -gui switch. This is not needed if WinMain() is detected or a DLL is being created.

A console app is created if there is no WinMain detected and it is not a DLL being created.

You didnt understand my question, Indeed it is ambigous. I was asking if it's possible for *build* (when using -Rn) to specify the exetype without using a .def file Razz
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenix wrote:
Is it possible for *build* (when using -Rn) to specify the exetype without using a .def file Razz

No. A .def file is always created and passed to the linker.

Why don't you want to use a .def file?
phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reason I like -Rn, just to cut on the unnecessary stuff (temp files). It's just a small preference, but it's there Smile
csauls

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the -cleanup switch removes the .def file if its autogenerated? Could be wrong, though.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
I think the -cleanup switch removes the .def file if its autogenerated? Could be wrong, though.

Yes, the -clean switch does remove temporary files that were created during the Building process.

The reason that the linker uses a Module Definition File is to reduce typing a long command line. Also, some command lines can get very long and there is an operating system limit to the command line length.

I think also, that some options can only be passed via the .DEF file, but I'm not too sure about that.

When I said No to the Exetype, a more correct answer is that you can pass this via the command line (-L/exet:dos) but a .DEF file is also used, so I don't know which takes precedence.

I'll add a new switch to Build so you can tell it to not create a .DEF file automatically. You will have to be responsible for providing one or an equivalent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: