FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revised directory layout

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DFL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the new DFL directory layout good?
Yes, very good.
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
It's fine with me.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Doesn't matter.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't particularly like it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, I hate it!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Chris Miller

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Revised directory layout Reply with quote

Check out the new directory layout in the 20050517 snapshot at http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl/snapshots/

Please vote in the poll and/or let me know what you think of this directory layout. Thanks!

- Chris
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised directory layout Reply with quote

Vathix wrote:
Please vote in the poll and/or let me know what you think of this directory layout. Thanks!

Here's the layout in case you do not want to install this snapshot:
Code:

dmd\
   bin\
      dfl.exe
   import\
      dfl\
         all.d
   lib\
      dfl.lib
   packages\
      dfl\
         readme.txt
         doc\
            index.html
         examples\

It is meant to overlay DMD so it is easier to install. You can either add the import directory to sc.ini or use dfl.exe which resides in the bin directory and should work out of the box. Something like this could be a package standard making it a lot easier to distribute libraries, since it is pretty difficult to do right now. Feedback is appreciated so I know whether or not to keep this layout. Thanks.

- Chris
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised directory layout Reply with quote

Vathix wrote:
Vathix wrote:

Here's the layout in case you do not want to install this snapshot:
Code:

dmd\
   bin\
      dfl.exe
   import\
      dfl\
         all.d
Thanks for the Cliff Notes summary. Smile

Since you're somewhat overlaying the existing DMD folders, you might consider renaming "import" to "src" and moving/renaming your "examples" to DMD's "samples". But what you've specified would be fine, too.

It's bothered me for a long time that every archive with D stuff in it was set up completely different than every other archive. I think what you've described (even it you don't implement my suggestions) would be a good standard. I especially like how I could just extract it to \dmd\ and nothing would get overwritten that I wouldn't want overwritten (and it'd be well-organized).

Looks great!
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Revised directory layout Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
Since you're somewhat overlaying the existing DMD folders, you might consider renaming "import" to "src" and moving/renaming your "examples" to DMD's "samples". But what you've specified would be fine, too.

I almost did that. I chose "import" so that it can also include stripped header-like import modules. "src" sort of implies that all the implementation is there. I also chose to put "examples" in my package directory so that everything you need to browse in a package is located in the same package directory, rather than separating it in DMD's "samples".

- Chris
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: