FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My D Tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
norgus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, thats just the kinda thing Brad Smile
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

brad wrote:
This may be where the
Code:
block of code

would come in handy, as we discussed. Hopefully your rework of tutorials would handle that. I'll send you an article I wrote that tried to do this exact thing. Use a command and then tell a bit about it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, this is part of my plan. I think it'll be easy to do, but I don't know until I try.

I started developing a prototype for the content at Wiki4D. So far I've discussed installing DMD and the simplest compilable program.

How's the pace? I don't want to come across as condescending, but I don't want to go too fast, either.
exquisitus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: how to call D function from C? Reply with quote

i am a newbie to D. i would like to call a function in D from my C main.

could some one please tell me how to do that?

thanks.

.v
dhcolesj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
brad wrote:
This may be where the
Code:
block of code

would come in handy, as we discussed. Hopefully your rework of tutorials would handle that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, this is part of my plan. I think it'll be easy to do, but I don't know until I try.

I started developing a prototype for the content at Wiki4D. So far I've discussed installing DMD and the simplest compilable program.

How's the pace? I don't want to come across as condescending, but I don't want to go too fast, either.

Razz I liked the tutorial, looks good so far. To kind of add to Brad's suggestion, I would recommend a background change. I noticed that in my Mozilla browser the text tended to blend with the background (could be my eyes). It made it harder to read. An easier background on the eyes would be something smooth so the text stands out clear.
BTW: I am really interested in picking up this lanuage as it develops and learn to program some. Hence the reason I have been looking over your Tutorial. And the pace from what I saw seemed fairly good.
John 3:16!
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

dhcolesj wrote:
An easier background on the eyes would be something smooth so the text stands out clear.
Are you talking about the tutorials at dsource such as this example? I hadn't thought about how the comment in that example looks. I'll try to get that improved. Thanks for the suggestion.
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: how to call D function from C? Reply with quote

exquisitus wrote:
Are you trying to link it in statically or access it through a DLL? I haven't really tried to do either, I might be able to find a newsgroup message where someone else has done this.
dhcolesj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
Are you talking about the tutorials at dsource such as this example? I hadn't thought about how the comment in that example looks. I'll try to get that improved. Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually not the source examples, their background is fine, its the explanation text around it. The background with the D in it kind of messes with the black text, if you know what I mean.
exquisitus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: how to call D function from C? Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
exquisitus wrote:
Are you trying to link it in statically or access it through a DLL? I haven't really tried to do either, I might be able to find a newsgroup message where someone else has done this.

I am trying to link it statically. basically, i wrote a function main in a file main.c which calls a function foo(). foo() is written as a simply function in D to print "Hello, World!". it doesn't use anythings funky like classes. i used gcc -c to make main.c an ELF obj file. Then tried to use dmd to link em all. from the error messages, the D linker is looking for symbols i don't provice because the entry point (main) is not written in D. if i can use D for system program, which would/should mean OS development. I NEED to be able to call D from Asm/C. I can't just start OS development with D--well, not if D can't use a function in D as my absolute entry point. By absolute entry point i mean the place where the Bootloader starts executing your code.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how to call D function from C? Reply with quote

exquisitus wrote:
I am trying to link it statically. basically, i wrote a function main in a file main.c which calls a function foo(). foo() is written as a simply function in D to print "Hello, World!".
Perhaps, these messages are of use:
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/10771
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/19814
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/10767

Here's some quotes from those messages:
Ilya Minkov wrote:
It is necessary to initialise the D runtime (GC, etc.) from the C environment. Then it is necessary to use extern(C) convention in D. Then write headers. Gets more cumbersome than not.

For more information on initialising and shutting down the runtime, see manual chapter on using WinMain entry point in D...

Burton Radons wrote:
boot up
the runtime with this in C:
Code:
    extern void gc_init();
    extern void gc_term();
    extern void _minit();
    extern void _moduleCtor();
    extern void _moduleUnitTests();

void Dinit ()
    {
        gc_init ();
        _minit ();
        _moduleCtor ();
        _moduleUnitTests ();
    }

void Dterm ()
    {
        gc_term ();
    }

I think this is territory where few have treaded, but I'm sure it's supposed to be possible. I don't have any experience with D and Linux, so I can't really be any help with the particulars.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

dhcolesj wrote:
Actually not the source examples, their background is fine, its the explanation text around it. The background with the D in it kind of messes with the black text, if you know what I mean.
I think you're talking about my original tutorial pages (which would make sense since that's what the original post in this topic is about Embarassed). Now I see what you're talking about. It doesn't seem like a problem for my eyes and my screen, but I'd like it to be accessible for all, so I brightened the background. I have a tendency for using backgrounds that are too busy. I'm trying to break the habit. Smile
exquisitus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how to call D function from C? Reply with quote

Thanks. This is definitely the kind of info i need.

.v
dhcolesj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
I think you're talking about my original tutorial pages (which would make sense since that's what the original post in this topic is about Embarassed). Now I see what you're talking about. It doesn't seem like a problem for my eyes and my screen, but I'd like it to be accessible for all, so I brightened the background. I have a tendency for using backgrounds that are too busy. I'm trying to break the habit. Smile

Yep, and, it looks good now. On my 19" Monitor they were not much of a problem, but on my Laptop's 15" it got a little difficult to read. Thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: