FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Invalid UTF-8 sequence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oniony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Invalid UTF-8 sequence Reply with quote

Hello there,

Just (re-)discovered D recently and I've been toying around with the tools and utilities available. I'd really like to use Build but I've been having some problems getting it running. Running build with or without arguments causes the same error, no matter which version I try, and I've tried the latest version binary and source and the one that's bundled with Elephant all with the same result:

Code:

C:\Program Files\build-2.08\Source>build.exe
Error: 4invalid UTF-8 sequence

C:\Program Files\build-2.08\Source>build.exe -i

C:\Program Files\build-2.08\Source>.\build.exe

If anyone has any suggestion as to what this could be I'd very much appreciate it. Seems a lot of other people are getting on OK with 2.08 so I'm guessing it's something wrong with my set-up.

Cheers,
Paul.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid UTF-8 sequence Reply with quote

oniony wrote:
Running build with or without arguments causes the same error:

Code:

C:\Program Files\build-2.08\Source>build.exe

I've been able to reproduce this error message. I placed a non-ASCII character into my PATH symbol. So maybe that's what you've got in your PATH symbol.

The error happens because I just use the C function getenv() to grab the PATH value and that really returns a byte[] but I assume its a char[]. I then call split() on it and I think this is where we start to barf.

Can you confirm that this is the problem you've got?

My fix will be to cleanse then PATH data before I start to use it.
oniony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid UTF-8 sequence Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:

I've been able to reproduce this error message. I placed a non-ASCII character into my PATH symbol. So maybe that's what you've got in your PATH symbol.
Can you confirm that this is the problem you've got?

Unbelievable! I'm truly amazed you managed to find that: indeed I do have some non-ASCII characters in my path, much to my surprise.

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>echo ?path?
c:\program files\ruby\bin;C:\PROGRAM FILES\THINKPAD\UTILITIES;C:\WINDOWS\system3
2;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Cont
rol Panel;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\Fire GL 3D Studio Max;C:\WINDOWS\Dow
nloaded Program Files;C:\IBMTOOLS\Python22;C:\Program Files\PC-Doctor for Window
s\services;C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin;C:\Program Files\php;C:\Pro
gram Files\MySQL Server 4.1\bin;C:\Program Files\Intel\ÿÿÿÿless\Bin\;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Team Tools\Performance Tools\;c:\cygwin\bin;c:\d
md\bin

The word 'wireless' has somehow made it into the path with four umlauted 'y's in place of the sequence 'wire' as you may be able to see above.

This could also explain why my IBM software has been unable to start or stop my wireless adapter after a recent software update, so I'll be doubly thankful if that problem is cured on my next reboot -- IBM support were helpful enough to suggest rebuilding the machine!

Thanks for your help with this, Build is functioning fine now.

Paul.

UPDATE: Yes, this cured my wireless problems too, so many thanks for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: