FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"FTPSync"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: "FTPSync" Reply with quote

I have a prototype application (in D) that syncronizes a local filesystem directory with a directory located on an FTP server. Currently, the code is Windows only, and works reasonably well. Creation, deletion, modification and renaming of directories and files are all reflected on the remote server in the background, so I never have to touch an FTP client again.

I would like to use this to seed an open source project here, but I need a better name for the project: there is aleady a commercial app called "FTPSync". Other names that have been tossed around are "Watcher" and "Fwatch".

I can see something like this growing into a mature tool along the lines of rsync. Future features will likely include an rsync-like capability to compare file timestamps for full syncronization at the start of a sesssion: something it doesn't do at the present time. Also, I don't see any reason why this also couldn't be made to work with SVN as well.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from your other post, I'll set this up as Watcher. Gimme a bit.
pragma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

I suppose "Watcher" is as good a name as any. Just let me know when you have things configured for SVN. Smile
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
Just let me know when you have things configured for SVN. Smile

All set.
qbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can see something like this growing into a mature tool along the lines of rsync. Future features will likely include an rsync-like capability to compare file timestamps for full syncronization at the start of a sesssion: something it doesn't do at the present time. Also, I don't see any reason why this also couldn't be made to work with SVN as well.

Very cool , I could really use this Smile. I like the name FTPSynch over Watcher though , just my opinion.

Charlie
pragma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:

Very cool , I could really use this Smile. I like the name FTPSynch over Watcher though , just my opinion.
Charlie

I'd prefer that name, or fsync as well. Problem is, both are already taken for either well-known utils or commerical products. Sad

Besides, "Watcher" gives the app a little more elbow room in case it ever gets to take on a larger role.

Anyway, you can grab the Alpha (binary and source) here:

http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dsp/downloads/watcher.zip

It has some bugs and quirks, but is essentially usable.
pragma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
pragma wrote:
Just let me know when you have things configured for SVN. Smile

All set.

Thank you Brad. You just made my day. Smile
csauls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, its very ironic (appropriate?) that you started this project... as I was quite literally just (as in a couple of days ago) finding myself wanting such a thing and starting to plan writing it. Then I come visit dsource only to find that its been started for me. Smile Definitely expect me fooling around with it.

One thing I was thinking of in my own project idea, and was wondering if you'd thought the same, was trying to write the FTP components as a stand-alone library. It would be rather nice to a have a general-purpose FTP lib for D. I'd even thought about writing one as an extension to Mango (cashew.ftp.*) and submit it to Kris.

Thoughts?
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
You know, its very ironic (appropriate?) that you started this project... as I was quite literally just (as in a couple of days ago) finding myself wanting such a thing and starting to plan writing it. Then I come visit dsource only to find that its been started for me. Smile Definitely expect me fooling around with it.

I'm quite happy to hear that. Just please bear with me as it still has its quirks. Also, please feel free to hack it up and back-commit any improvments you like.

Quote:

One thing I was thinking of in my own project idea, and was wondering if you'd thought the same, was trying to write the FTP components as a stand-alone library. It would be rather nice to a have a general-purpose FTP lib for D. I'd even thought about writing one as an extension to Mango (cashew.ftp.*) and submit it to Kris.

Now that's creepy. Currently, all of the FTP commands are nestled safely inside of an FTPClient class. It sits squarely on top of mango.io.SocketConduit, and encapsulates some basic FTP commands.

I don't see why it FTPClient couldn't become a part of Mango.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Watcher All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: