FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mango installation on linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prefetch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Mango installation on linux Reply with quote

hi all. i can't find the "how to install mango" page anywhere.

i'm guessing i have to edit /etc/dmd.conf and put the mango tree somewhere (is it in next to the phobos tree d/dmd/src ?)

any help would be appreciated. also, kris (i think you're the right person to ask (??) you may want to write a quick "Mango HOWTO" to let people know how to install mango on their systems and compile a quick mango 'hello world' app. or something. just a thought.
kris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points. There's some overview information here, which includes a link to some trivial examples: http://dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=148

The readme file updated with each revision is here: http://svn.dsource.org/projects/mango/trunk/readme.txt

As far as installation goes, Mango doesn't really expect to be installed in any particular location other than something matching the import paths. For example, the Zip files (in the download section) are usually unpacked to somewhere convenient for the developer: perhaps a /d/source/mango directory? In that case you'd end up with a /d/source/mango/mango/io directory structure (for example), which might look a little odd but works well with the D compiler.

Perhaps the primary issue with installation is how to get the compiler to find the Mango tree? Given the above directory structure, most folks add a -I/d/source/mango to the compile line. I personally use Derek's Build utility, and add the appropriate -I option there. If you look at the mango/example directory you'll see a bunch of .brf files there, which instruct Build how to do the right thing ~ they add a -I..

I hope that helps, and I appreciate the feedback. Will probably add a brief HOWTO, as you suggest, and attach it to the HTML page & the distribution.

Perhaps one of the linux folks could chime in with how/if they set things up?
teqdruid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all my D libraries (in linux), I have a directory (/home/teqdruid/workspace/include) that I've added with -I to my dmd.conf file. Then I use build, and let it compile and link in those files. If I wanted to use library files, I'd build a libmango.a file, then put that in /usr/lib and all -lmango to all my mango projects, in addition to keeping mango in the include directory.

I recomment build. It's great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: