FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build linux troubles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
404FileNotFound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Build linux troubles Reply with quote

I have a problem with using build on linux. Compiling it seems to work for me (with Makefile.unix), I get no error messages, an I end up with a build executable that looks fine on first sight (it shows the help message when typing 'build'). However when I try to compile my simple hello world prog with it (called test.d), it gives the following error message: "Error: build.mdf: No such file or directory". There's no file with that name included in the zip file or in trunk. Does anyone know what's going wrong and how I can fix it?
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Build linux troubles Reply with quote

404FileNotFound wrote:
I have a problem with using build on linux. Compiling it seems to work for me (with Makefile.unix), I get no error messages, an I end up with a build executable that looks fine on first sight (it shows the help message when typing 'build'). However when I try to compile my simple hello world prog with it (called test.d), it gives the following error message: "Error: build.mdf: No such file or directory". There's no file with that name included in the zip file or in trunk. Does anyone know what's going wrong and how I can fix it?

There is a bug in DMD with the linux std.file.exists() function. It returns the opposite of what it should do. Build tests for the existance of "build.mdf" and if it exists it tries to read it. If it doesn't exist it just carries on. In your case, the faulty exists() function is reporting that the files exist when in fact it doesn't. So Build then tries to open the nonexistent file and thus fails.

The work around is to create an empty file in the same folder as Build is installed in, called "build.mdf".

This file is not being used in Build yet, but it is in preparation for a simple text replacement feature. It is meant to contain standard Macro Definitions (mdf ==> macro definition file).
404FileNotFound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added an empty file called build.mdf to the build directory like you said, but now I get a slightly different error when trying to compile. Now it says: "Error: /usr/local/bin/build.mdf: No such file or directory". Do I have to go and put empty build.mdf files wherever it says? Confused
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

404FileNotFound wrote:
I added an empty file called build.mdf to the build directory like you said, but now I get a slightly different error when trying to compile. Now it says: "Error: /usr/local/bin/build.mdf: No such file or directory". Do I have to go and put empty build.mdf files wherever it says? Confused

Sorry. Embarassed It looks in two places for the build.mdf file. Once in the same directory that Build is installed in, and again in the same directory where DMD is installed in.

I hope Walter fixes this bug in the next release.
404FileNotFound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I understand that it's not your fault for this happening Smile I'm having weird dmd.conf errors now.. I'll just wait till this bug gets fixed
404FileNotFound

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great I just tried it with 0.130 and it seems to work again.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

404FileNotFound wrote:
great I just tried it with 0.130 and it seems to work again.

That's great news! Very Happy
Thanks for trying it out for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: