FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

raknet
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quote of myself about what needs to be done still with these bindings...

Quote:

You can use these pages as a todo list starting point....

http://www.rakkarsoft.com/raknet/manual/DOxygen/classRakClientInterface.html
http://www.rakkarsoft.com/raknet/manual/DOxygen/classRakServerInterface.html

Here are the features I've completed so far...

http://svn.dsource.org/projects/bindings/trunk/raknet/rakglue/rakclient.h
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/bindings/trunk/raknet/rakglue/rakserver.h

I'm using rakClientInterface_FunctionName(), so you should be able to tell what I've completed and what I havn't completed.

For the bitstream, I've implemented all the read/write routines (not the readCompressed or writeCompressed though) . There are still a few more bitstream functions that could be implemented.

Also, my sendBitstream matches up to the client/serv send(Bitstream, ...)

http://www.rakkarsoft.com/raknet/manual/DOxygen/classRakNet_1_1BitStream.html

There are also a few other classes you might want to implement...

RakVoice
http://www.rakkarsoft.com/raknet/manual/DOxygen/classRakVoiceInterface.html

MultiPlayer
http://www.rakkarsoft.com/raknet/manual/DOxygen/classMultiplayer.html

AutoPatcher
http://www.rakkarsoft.com/raknet/manual/DOxygen/classAutoPatcher.html

So, in other words, I've implemented enough of the client and server interface to work with bitstreams, which are powerful enough to do simple multiplayer games. I also implemented RPC (remote procedure calls) to do that simple chat program. As a side effect of getting bitstreams to work, I've implemented the send/recieve/deallocate packet for client/serv as well, and have Packet and PlayerID defined in my d source.

I'd say it is a pretty solid starting point, and if you want to implement more features you are free to. It'd appreciate it if you could try to keep layout similar (each new class gets new cpp file, the C function names are class followed by _ followed by function name), and it would be great if you could try to test things as you add them in, maybe write/find a sample program and have your machine communicate to itself.

Feel free to ask anymore questions : ) Goodluck.

~ Clay
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urg... those raknet archives in cppsource are huge, Clay. Much too big for me to wait around to download with dialup. I end up having to redownload every time you update them.

Do the cpp archives for linux and win32 really have to be in there? They are 7+ MB apiece and you've already got them in your warbots svn.

Sad

-JJR
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Urg... those raknet archives in cppsource are huge, Clay. Much too big for me to wait around to download with dialup. I end up having to redownload every time you update them.

Do the cpp archives for linux and win32 really have to be in there? They are 7+ MB apiece and you've already got them in your warbots svn.

Sad

-JJR
Glancing at the warbots SVN, it doesn't look like any of the C++ source is there, but obviously it shouldn't be in both places if it were there.

I'm not sure that the C++ sources reallly belong in the bindings project. If it doesn't warrant it's own project yet (and maybe it does), perhaps it would be better in the warbots SVN.

I don't like the idea of large archives in the bindings project either. Also, perhaps the source files of the original C++ (rather than an archive of the source files) should've been added to a SVN at the beginning and then it could have been modified (by committing changes within SVN) to create the DMC hack. Then people on dialup would only have to download the biggest part once. Snapshots of the directory could still be zipped up and put in the "download" folder where it'd be easier for people with slower connections to avoid.

Since we don't have much in the way of guidelines for using the Bindings project SVN, I'm impressed we haven't really had any problems to discuss about it until now. (At least no problems that I recall.)
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
Glancing at the warbots SVN, it doesn't look like any of the C++ source is there, but obviously it shouldn't be in both places if it were there.

They're in there. The two packages are in trunk/RaknetBinding/cppSource:

raknet_2.412_dmc_hack_win.zip --- 8349 KB
raknet_2.412_linux.zip --- 7922 KB

jcc7 wrote:
I'm not sure that the C++ sources reallly belong in the bindings project. If it doesn't warrant it's own project yet (and maybe it does), perhaps it would be better in the warbots SVN.

Like I said, it is there. I have to agree about where the C++ source belongs. The problem with large archives like that is that every little change made to directory structure or the archives themselves results in all svn clients having to redownload the whole zip file on every update. Ouch!

jcc7 wrote:
I don't like the idea of large archives in the bindings project either. Also, perhaps the source files of the original C++ (rather than an archive of the source files) should've been added to a SVN at the beginning and then it could have been modified (by committing changes within SVN) to create the DMC hack. Then people on dialup would only have to download the biggest part once. Snapshots of the directory could still be zipped up and put in the "download" folder where it'd be easier for people with slower connections to avoid.

Now that's a much better idea that would save us a lot of trouble. Frankly that's what svn is designed to do. I'm just not sure the rakknet license will allow that. Although it is GPL so maybe it's no big deal.

jcc7 wrote:
Since we don't have much in the way of guidelines for using the Bindings project SVN, I'm impressed we haven't really had any problems to discuss about it until now. (At least no problems that I recall.)

Very true. It's probably a good that this issue came up now so that we can determine what is permissable.

-JJR
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
jcc7 wrote:

They're in there. The two packages are in trunk/RaknetBinding/cppSource:

raknet_2.412_dmc_hack_win.zip --- 8349 KB
raknet_2.412_linux.zip --- 7922 KB
Oops, I see it now.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:

Sad

-JJR

I'll just leave them in the warbots SVN and remove it from the bindings project. However, I think it is a good idea to keep the precompiled windows .lib file there, it is only 456k.

jcc7 wrote:

I am such a trouble maker Twisted Evil

Is there a filesize limit for a dsource bindings project or dsource projects in general? I have the full RakNet sources on dsource to preserve the version I used and because RakNet doesn't support the DMC compiler, yet. Also, I havn't tested to see if the hacked windows sources will compile on linux, so I kept an unmodified one up for linux.

On another note, I have been spreading the word of D on the RakNet forums, Rak'kar may be slightly intrigued by the language. http://www.rakkarsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87

JJR wrote:

Like I said, it is there. I have to agree about where the C++ source belongs. The problem with large archives like that is that every little change made to directory structure or the archives themselves results in all svn clients having to redownload the whole zip file on every update. Ouch!
-JJR

Are you saying that if I have

/dir/file.zip
/dir/text

And I just update the text, it will force everyone to redownload the zip file? If so, I wasn't aware of that, and there should be a note on the dsource home to avoid zip files at all cost, or maybe a little announcement on the bindings forum, along with some simple guidelines so keep trouble makers like me in check. Razz

Last edited by clayasaurus on Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
Are you saying that if I have

/dir/file.zip
/dir/text

And I just update the text, it will force everyone to redownload the zip file? If so, I wasn't aware of that, and there should be a note on the dsource home to avoid zip files at all cost, or maybe a little announcement on the bindings forum, along with some simple guidelines so keep trouble makers like me in check. Razz

No, that's not happening, nor is that what I meant... I'm saying that if you change the directory structure of /dir/file.zip, I have to redownload file.zip. You did this with cppsource, I think. I had the huge archive files downloaded from a previous directory structure, then you went and changed it! Shocked ... so on my next svn update, I found myself downloading for hours again.

Furthermore, I meant that any little update to the file.zip itself means that I have to download the whole thing again. So if you made a minor change to it and submitted to svn, the whole of file.zip is downloaded by the clients. Sorry... I didn't mean to confuse the issue more.

-JJR
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok. Also I don't know if you realized I've already updated the bindings project.
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Clay. That did the trick.

I noticed the thread you created over at the rakknet forums. I'm glad to see you are getting some good publicity out there for D.

All the best.

-JJR
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arg. I just am getting back to network programming, checkout out my own bindings, and was getting unresolved errors again.

Anyway, I updated the raknet bindings so they work better out of the box on windows and linux.

In addition, I've trimmed down the source file downloads at http://svn.dsource.org/projects/warbots/downloads/raknet/ as well as keep a snapshot .zip of the raknet bindings if you don't want to mess around with svn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Bindings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: