FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This site really needs ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: This site really needs ... Reply with quote

Add them here. Our team of developers will get on it right away. (me, spare time, every other weekend Confused )

Currently, here are our thoughts:

- I'd like to have one login handle access to project pages (we'll need some of those first), as well as forums and SVN access. I can do the first two in PHP, but I'm not sure about the SVN access due to its tie-in with Apache authentication. Each user may need to have an account with the OS.

- We are also pondering how to get the tutorials into PHP/MySQL format for consistency and searching...

- I'm adding a project or two so I can get a shell script that adds everything required for the project (MySQL tables, os/web folders, pages, etc.) based on input from the project creator. This will run as the person finishes a series of forms and clicks submit.

BA
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might seem like a minor thing, but I think you should put a link to Wiki4D somewhere on the home page.

It's the most popular wiki for D and it has a lot of content and links that summarize the D community better than any other website.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Absolutely I will. I've used it many times myself. Does a Links section warrant its own tab? Or a section on Tutorials or Sites?

BA
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
Good point. Absolutely I will. I've used it many times myself. Does a Links section warrant its own tab? Or a section on Tutorials or Sites?

BA

I don't think a whole Links tab is needed. I was thinking the best thing would be just to point to two or three really ellite websites. You've already got a link to the D Spec on the home page. You could put a sticky on this in the Language/General forum if the home page isn't ideal. Wiki4D has a link to pretty much everything else. I think that pretty much covers it. I just think it'd be best if newbies had a chance to find existing info themselves before they post a question about something.

I would caution against trying to compete with Wiki4D stuff. I think pages of links would be more easily maintained on Wiki4D. I can only guess why Walter doesn't have a link to it at the very top of his links pages. I suspose he'd rather improve the compiler than edit pages of links. Wink

By the way, I have my own links page on my website. It's formated the way that I think. It tends to get a little out of date, but everything doesn't change all at once.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I wouldn't dream of competing with that. I just want to provide a place for forums, source-code, and a little advocacy.

BA
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: New phpBB version Reply with quote

By the way, a new version of phpBB (2.0.7) was released Sat Mar 13, 2004. 2.0.6 was released a while back in August, so it might be worth the effort to upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: