FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiki Export

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pragma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Wiki Export Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is any way to export the wiki contents to files?

I know that there is a [plain text] link available at the bottom of every wiki page, but I was hoping there was some way to do something a bit more comprehensive.

Where I'm going with this is simple: I'd like to take advantage of the open-nature of the Trac wiki for collaborative documentation development. By getting an export/extract of the wiki, I could convert the contents to html and effectively freeze the text as a downloadable document. This would be especially useful if for projects that have development kits that need version appropriate documentation -- like if I have stable SDK documentation and an in-development one.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want the wiki source or the wiki page fully marked up with HTML?

The wiki source can be had by a command-line script.

Code:

trac-admin /var/trac/ddl wiki dump

Will dump one text file of wiki source per page.

BA
pragma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
Do you want the wiki source or the wiki page fully marked up with HTML?

The wiki source can be had by a command-line script.

Code:

trac-admin /var/trac/ddl wiki dump

Will dump one text file of wiki source per page.

BA

Wow, thanks Brad. I'm not interested in doing that right away, but when the time comes I'll PM you, if that's okay? I just wanted to be sure that the road ahead was clear of obstructions before I commited to using the wiki for composing documentation. Smile

If the markup comes out to something like clean HTML/XHTML then I'll probably go that route just to get rid of another layer of processing. That way, I can mesh the wiki extract with my ddoc output for some really nice offline docs.

FYI, I also dropped a hint on the Trac trac out on Edgewall, about all this. I added a second voice to a request for PDF output by suggesting that if that won't fly, then something like a raw wiki .zip export would be great if not more useful.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:

Wow, thanks Brad. I'm not interested in doing that right away, but when the time comes I'll PM you, if that's okay? I just wanted to be sure that the road ahead was clear of obstructions before I commited to using the wiki for composing documentation. Smile

If the markup comes out to something like clean HTML/XHTML then I'll probably go that route just to get rid of another layer of processing. That way, I can mesh the wiki extract with my ddoc output for some really nice offline docs.

FYI, I also dropped a hint on the Trac trac out on Edgewall, about all this. I added a second voice to a request for PDF output by suggesting that if that won't fly, then something like a raw wiki .zip export would be great if not more useful.

I could also modify the trac-admin utility to output XHTML instead of the raw wiki source code. Something like
Code:

? trac-admin /var/trac/ddl wiki htmldump

However, I can't give shell access in the server's current location. I'd have to automate it somehow, or make it an admin function.

If you don't get very far w/ the Trac guys, I'll be able to whip this up. I am intimately familiar with the guts of Trac. And, FWIW, their markup is XHTML compliant, and very, very nice.

In addition to this functionality, I could probably put a download link for this, processing, zipping, and exposing a file for download. Worst case, it could be a part of your SVN repos's post-commit-hook.

So yeah, you're safe using the wiki as documentation.

BA
kris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this is just great, Brad ~
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, here's the $1,000,000 question:

Brad, could I supply you with flat wiki-text files for insertion into the wiki?

I'm just exploring the space and seeing what the limits of exploitation are for the wiki. The additional use comes in when/if we could get ddoc output to be wikitext formatted instead of HTML or XML. Then entire API docs could be made available for PHP-doc style comments at the bottom.

Were this possible, merging changes in, as to not loose comments would then be a problem (possibly an acceptable one at that). maybe if the wiki were mapped onto SVN somehow...?
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:

Brad, could I supply you with flat wiki-text files for insertion into the wiki?

Umm... part of your post-commit-hook in SVN.
Code:

? trac-admin /var/trac/ddl wiki load /home/brad/ddl/*

BA
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, thanks. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: