FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terms, and comprehension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Terms, and comprehension Reply with quote

This is a small thing, but I wanted to mention it anyway:

I think the potential confusion over "in-situ" might be alleviated somewhat by referring to it as "static binding"? Thus, DDL would provide for both static and dynamic binding ~ the former is for the statically linked portion of the code, whilst the latter is for everything else. There's almost always a single statically linked entity, containing the GC, exception handlers, and so on.

It's just naming, but it certainly had me confused Smile

On a related note: I've found that wee example (host.exe) to be quite useful, since it avoids concerns over keeping the in-situ .ddl synchronized with one's build ~ one just compiles a .obj and 'hosts' it instead.
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Terms, and comprehension Reply with quote

kris wrote:
This is a small thing, but I wanted to mention it anyway:

I think the potential confusion over "in-situ" might be alleviated somewhat by referring to it as "static binding"? Thus, DDL would provide for both static and dynamic binding ~ the former is for the statically linked portion of the code, whilst the latter is for everything else. There's almost always a single statically linked entity, containing the GC, exception handlers, and so on.

If you were to ask my wife, she'd tell you that I have a great head on my shoulders, but its sometimes painful to get anything comprehensible out of it.

Thank you Kris, for giving a name to a process for which I've been at a loss to describe. I'll keep the in-situ name of the binary, as that's pretty much what it is, but the process of "static binding" will be used to better convey the concept behind it. Smile

Quote:

On a related note: I've found that wee example (host.exe) to be quite useful, since it avoids concerns over keeping the in-situ .ddl synchronized with one's build ~ one just compiles a .obj and 'hosts' it instead.

Well, seeing as how DDL is overdue for an examples section, the code you sent me is going to help out nicely.
kris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Terms, and comprehension Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
[If you were to ask my wife, she'd tell you that I have a great head on my shoulders ...

I'm glad it's on your shoulders, and not anywhere else Shocked
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Terms, and comprehension Reply with quote

kris wrote:
pragma wrote:
[If you were to ask my wife, she'd tell you that I have a great head on my shoulders ...

I'm glad it's on your shoulders, and not anywhere else Shocked

Hehe.

Oh, she fixed that problem a while back. Seems her foot already occupies where my head used to be. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DDL - D Dynamic Libraries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: