FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Velocity: Native D Game Engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylefurlong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Velocity: Native D Game Engine Reply with quote

Not a port of any pre-existing engine, I would like Velocity to be a high level game engine which utilizes all the power of D. It will support shaders, advanced physics, mesh loaders for all popular authoring applications, and more

Brad, if you think this would be a benifit to the dsource community, I would appreciate a home here. Wink

P.S. The engine design will be loosely based on the ideas of Markus Wöß whos website is at http://www.bunnz.com/
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds quite ambitious. How much experience do you have with this sort of thing?

Goodluck,
~ Clay
kylefurlong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost none! Wink I have been researching game engines for awhile for a game I would like to make, and none have satisfied my criterion. So I have decided to make my own! Smile You and anyone else are welcome to come on board. If there are people who would like to see this happen through their own efforts, I would start to focus more on the design and documentation as opposed to jumping into implementation immediately, so that any such people could begin coding.

To allay fears of my incompetence, if not my inexperience; I have a CS background at university (although I am a Physics major officially), and have worked professionally in the IS sector.

I have some cool ideas on where I would like to take this. If people are interested we could dialog about what Velocity is going to be.

P.S - Check out PurpleSharp at http://sourceforge.net/projects/purplesharp. It is the engine which most closely matches my design parameters.
lgoss007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple# seems pretty similar to OGRE.

But I've had the similar problem of engines not fitting my criteria. However OGRE and OSG are the closest to what I want. If only they were in D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kylefurlong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can talk to clay about the ogre port. I dont know where his effort is at. I seem to remember you guys stalled on something clay?
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you are referring to Sinbad, Kyle, a project started by larsivi and csauls? I think it was based on the Ogre SDK. It stalled over a year ago, I believe, because of D limitations.

-JJR
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylefurlong wrote:
Well, you can talk to clay about the ogre port. I dont know where his effort is at. I seem to remember you guys stalled on something clay?

I believe you have me confused with csauls, I've never been involved with the Ogre port, besides a little post or two on their forum. From what I recall, csauls is stalled on the Ogre port because he is waiting for D 1.0.

A while ago tried I to make a 3D engine and didn't get very far (see http://svn.dsource.org/projects/claytek/website/screenshots.html ).

Recently I've decided I'll be happier with writing a 2D graphics library for D, as plenty of others can cover the 3D spectrum better than I could. I've been semi busy taking care of the warbots project (see http://svn.dsource.org/projects/warbots/web/index.html )

I don't get a whole lot of developing time either, it is the last thing on my list of priorities. Every once in a while I chip away at it. I'm having fun as long as I don't spend too much of my time on bugs.

Anyway, goodluck on your project!
~ Clay
kylefurlong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
I believe that you are referring to Sinbad, Kyle, a project started by larsivi and csauls? I think it was based on the Ogre SDK. It stalled over a year ago, I believe, because of D limitations.

-JJR

Sorry about the confusion. Embarassed My mistake. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Velocity All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: