FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the next version

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: the next version Reply with quote

Is it DUI still relevant?
probably not.

Anyway I'm still working on a new version.
main objectives:
- fully automated binding and wrapping
- full coverage (glib, gobject, cairo, pango, pixbuf, atk, gdk, gtk)
- libs structure close to original (very close but not exactly)
- dynamic linking (thanks to JJR and his version dynDUI)
- no dependencies on other libraries

Will I take this work to completion?
I'm not sure.
I started this work around jan 25, just one week before Walter suggested DWT. That didn't help on my motivation to continue it.
On the other hand there is a C++ wrapping for Gtk+, so why not a D also?
It might help someone to move to D from one of the many languages that have a Gtk+ wrapping/binding.

Right now all libs compile except for Gtk it self (should be fixed today).

Still with many C structs are passed around but the wrapping concept is already tested.
There still are some problems not yet solved.

I just updated the SVN of the old libs, Dool, Dui, Dante and Leds for DMD 145 (Linux only, windows not tested).
Leds requires the patch JJR made for Scintilla 1.63.

back to work, I mean, fun :)

Ant
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant,

This is great! I still think DUI has an important place in the D GUI universe! I hope it can stay afloat for many years longer. Currently, it's still the only major GUI Framework that works on both Linux and Win32 (besides MinWin... but that's not completely comparable to DUI).

I think the only thing that remains for DUI is a name change. It deserves it now. Doing so might even help boost the excitement concerning the project as well. Smile So maybe you might like to get a poll going?

Glad to see you back again, Ant! Smile

-JJR
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant, I've wanted to ask this question for awhile:

Is DUI a framework designed to be like gtkmm (the C++ version of gtk)?

-JJR
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
This is great! I still think DUI has an important place in the D GUI universe! I hope it can stay afloat for many years longer.
I agree.

JJR wrote:
I think the only thing that remains for DUI is a name change. It deserves it now. Doing so might even help boost the excitement concerning the project as well. Smile So maybe you might like to get a poll going?
I don't know if DUI needs a new name (the people who already know what DUI is would have to learn what the new thing is), but maybe it should emphasize its relationship to GTK+. I'm just brainstorming here, but GTK+D or GTKD comes to mind as possibilities (but how would those be pronounced?). Or maybe just PlusD (pronounced "plussed" of course). Or if you wanted to go with an actual word, it could be "nonplussed". (I've gone stream-of-consciousness.)

Or you could also avoid unpronouncability just picking a random word like "ginkgo" or "maidenhair" or whatever.
obijohn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am more interested in DUI than DWT. So keep at it Ant! Smile

As for the name change, when I first looked for a gtk port, I assumed that "gtk" would be in the project's name, just like it is for every other language that has a gtk binding, so it took me awhile to find DUI. This might also apply to others coming to D from, say, Python or Ada. So I would support a name change, personally.

But "DGTK" looks strange to me. Too many capital letters. How about just "Dgtk"? The dsource.org project name itself could retain DUI, maybe just combine them into "DUI/Dgtk".

Whatever you decide on a name, please keep working on it, as I have no interest in DWT.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Ant ! I'm can't wait to test the new DUI Very Happy
As for the name - if it really needs to change, how about DTK ?
Ant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: thanks for the encouragment Reply with quote

Thank you guys, you know that the encouragement realy help keeping the motivation.

I'm realy not confortable with the name DUI since I learn it means "Driving Under the Influence".
When I googled for DUI (2 years or so ago) I filtered by "computer" or "toolkit" or something like that so I never got the other DUI.

Every month I get e-mails to join the "other DUI" internet rings ...

I was suggested the name "Duit" but we can fing too many uses of Duit on google.

JJR wrote:
Is DUI a framework designed to be like gtkmm

I believe so. I never looked into gtkmm to avoid any chance of IP problems - in the case I can release DUI under the Artistic license.

obijohn wrote:
I have no interest in DWT

Why is that?

Ant
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant,

You probably can make use of the digitalmars.dwt newsgroup too for discussions. Walter said that it can be used for ANY D GUI related discussion. And discussions there will also help bring more exposure to DUI.

Also, it doesn't look like there were any significant commits to DUI (dyndui branch) svn recently. Did you make any big changes recently? Just curious because you indicated there were some big changes coming.

-JJR
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Ant! Smile

As I said in an email, I don't currently do much GUI programming, but I feel that DUI in the state it was 2 years ago, actually was an almost complete, full featured,crossplatform GUI. I think that wxD might pose most competition these days in those respects, although many seems to prefer the smaller windows based GUIs.

But for those who need complete, full featured, crossplatform GUIs now, I think DUI might turn into the best solution right now.

I hope that you continue your work, for the sake of diversity in the D landscape, activity (because you used to be the most active of us all!) and strong opinions. You might not need us, but we need you Wink
obijohn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for the encouragment Reply with quote

Ant wrote:
obijohn wrote:
I have no interest in DWT

Why is that?

I'm already familiar with Gtk+ and have used a couple of bindings to it (Python, but mostly Ada). I'm a hobby programmer, so I don't have a lot of time to invest in learning new toolkits. I didn't even really have the time to look into D in the first place, but a friend of mine talked me into trying it out for a day. That was all it took, and now I'm hooked! Smile (I find writing new code in D faster than Python, which amazed me. D amazes me every day.)

Anyway, I looked at SWT some time ago when I was learning Java and quickly discovered that I didn't have the time to invest in it, so I stuck with GtkAda.

Believe me, I'm no Gtk+ expert, most of my hobby projects simply use the command line. But I know enough about it, and Glade, to throw some things together when I need to. I think that many programmers coming from a linux background, where Gtk+ is used quite a lot, would feel the same way and start using DUI/Dgtk before even looking at DWT.
Ant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for the encouragment Reply with quote

obijohn wrote:
I'm already familiar with Gtk+ ...

Valid reasons.
And valid also for keeping the DUI project alive.

From your experience - how does DUI compares with the other bindings?
What couild be improved?
What should be changed?

Ant
Ant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
You probably can make use of the digitalmars.dwt newsgroup

Maybe I'll start the next discussion there.
I don't want to announce that I'll be making an announcement soon... Wink

JJR wrote:
Also, it doesn't look like there were any significant commits to DUI

The work now is on the wrapper programs, D programs of course.
Maybe I should commit that - at least as a backup as I have none...
Today I am going to code the class hierachy generation - if successful I should be able to compile the first HelloWorld for the new DUI.

I'm calling the new DUI "Duit" for now.

hhhhmmm Duitk cannot not be found on google... what you think?
maybe duitik? Razz also not found on google.
I'm not good at this. JCC?...

Ant
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: