FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StringCheesian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you for the wonderful, vast improvement in the look of the site and its forum!

The low contrast of dark blue text on gray background was really hard on the eyes.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Except I didn't do too much to the forums CSS, save for the text.

Glad you like it.

For those who missed it on /site/status, I am planning on moving Forums functionality into each project's Trac environment, so they can have multiple forums, multiple topics, etc. Also, it will be a most welcomed departure from phpBB.

BA
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

I'm really looking forward to the move away from phpBB!

Thanks for all you work.

-JJR
kris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that;
pragma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
I am planning on moving Forums functionality into each project's Trac environment, so they can have multiple forums, multiple topics, etc. Also, it will be a most welcomed departure from phpBB.

This will be a most welcome move. It'll be nice to have a tighter degree of integration with all the various dsource components.

One question came to mind though. I've become quite used to the 'recent posts' feature of phpbb. Provided that the trac forums don't come with an RSS feed (they might, but I'm not sure), how would one see what *all* of the new activity on dsource at a glance?
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
I've become quite used to the 'recent posts' feature of phpbb. Provided that the trac forums don't come with an RSS feed (they might, but I'm not sure), how would one see what *all* of the new activity on dsource at a glance?

I use the 'recent posts' feature a ton as well, so it's not going away. In fact, I may try to pull off tracking who has read what messages, as a newsgroup / newsreader client might do.

Also, it's my goal to have RSS feeds.

As for seeing all of the new activity across the entire site, I have given it a bit of thought. There are some efforts underway for InterTrac or InterWiki stuffs, but I think I'll want to roll my own "Site Timeline" like the individual timeline for each project. The problem with this is resources used per request, so I'll have to 'Macgyver up' some caching process so one can't wipe the server on each request for this overview page.

BA
pragma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
As for seeing all of the new activity across the entire site, I have given it a bit of thought. There are some efforts underway for InterTrac or InterWiki stuffs, but I think I'll want to roll my own "Site Timeline" like the individual timeline for each project. The problem with this is resources used per request, so I'll have to 'Macgyver up' some caching process so one can't wipe the server on each request for this overview page.

I'm surprised this doesn't already exist as an .egg of some sort. Dsource.org can't be the only "super-trac"* site out there.

($0.02)
Well, you could just do it on a cron that caches such a page, and then set the update interval for something appropriate. Also, you might be able to schedule things such that only portions of the "site timeline" are updated at any given time; that way the load would be further offset; this could also be done by a cron.

(* No, not where you go to buy an oil filter, but a site composed of multiple trac instances Very Happy)
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
brad wrote:

I'm surprised this doesn't already exist as an .egg of some sort. Dsource.org can't be the only "super-trac"* site out there.

We're one of a precious few right now. Trac has been beaten around pretty good by me to make it multi-project capable. It's running on 0.10, but more stuff is planned for 0.12 along these lines.

pragma wrote:
($0.02)
Well, you could just do it on a cron that caches such a page, and then set the update interval for something appropriate. Also, you might be able to schedule things such that only portions of the "site timeline" are updated at any given time; that way the load would be further offset; this could also be done by a cron.

That's the Macgyver stuff that I was talking about

pragma wrote:
(* No, not where you go to buy an oil filter, but a site composed of multiple trac instances Very Happy)
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsource/ticket/16
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: