FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New design of dsource.org

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmfp

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: New design of dsource.org Reply with quote

First of all, this is a very early version of a suggestion for a new design of dsource.org. Brainstorm and come with suggestions if you like, but don't criticise this first version - the only reason I'm showing it this early is because it's for you and you have to be able to say if you have any specific preferences. (btw, everything is include()d, it's modular)

1. You wanted more colors than blue. The problem is that it might very easily atagonize the user even by just using more than one color with this design. You can see for yourself in the example, which mixes with red. I'd really like your input on this.
However, the issue with a lot of blue is lesser now, because it's a very light design and with a lot of toning. If we'd switch the red to blue or some other color, I'll redesign the marker for the buttons on the top of the page.
Another idea is to to tone blue-to-red instead of blue-to-white, but it won't be as elegant.

2. The listing of headers will be redesigned - they gotta go! The first idea was to have something similar to the / in paths. I have a new idea for this.

3. A new forum theme to match whatever ends up the main page?
That's a future issue though, and should be avoided till the rest is done.

With that said: http://dev.pmfp.net/dsource.org/

I can do most things you'd want... but be prepared to pull up either a skiss or a good explanation if it's a complete work over - it's takes a lot of time to fiddle with one idea and one correction at a time, and I don't have that time.

Hope that helps.
Martin

(FYI, my own page is at http://www.pmfp.net if you want to have a look at what else I've done)
pmfp

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, crap, I was playing with the tag line... don't kill me because of it!

In other news, I'll be in england from thursday to monday (27MAY04-31MAY04) and will therefore be out of touch.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the use of color other than blue, definitely. And I'm okay with your design. Here are a couple of thoughts:

1. I don't like the use of DHTML / JavaScript to pop up the images. I prefer CSS for this task. It seems to be faster, especially with the sliding doors implementation I got from www.alistapart.com

2. I like how the current site appears in text-based browsers like lynx. It also looks fine for graphics-based browsers, but certainly not as nice as yours. But yours would need some work to get as clean an appearance in lynx.

3. A redo of the forums style would be quite difficult in the short-term because you would have to re-skin phpBB. This is possible, but I've made some customizations to it already, and another skin would need those changes, too. A more plausible route to make forums consistent is to tie them into the php code for the projects side of the site. Sourceforge doesn't have a separate section for forums. You must access a project's forums from the project. While I still like the notion of a forums section that can notify you of messages in forums that you are watching, this is a long redesign, and just like you, I'm pretty short on time. phpBB was up and running in no time.

Hope these comments help you out. I also want to hear from other people on their thoughts about your suggested redesign.
pmfp

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:

1. I don't like the use of DHTML / JavaScript to pop up the images. I prefer CSS for this task. It seems to be faster, especially with the sliding doors implementation I got from www.alistapart.com

Roger. Admitedly, I didn't know you could CSS this for images too. I'll check it out later.

brad wrote:

2. I like how the current site appears in text-based browsers like lynx. It also looks fine for graphics-based browsers, but certainly not as nice as yours. But yours would need some work to get as clean an appearance in lynx.

I've cleaned it up a bit now. The footer needs to be put there somehow else though, since it appears incorrectly in lynx.

brad wrote:

Hope these comments help you out. I also want to hear from other people on their thoughts about your suggested redesign.

Like I said... anything you want - just start dreaming about what would be cool to have. Perhaps some new functionality too? Any users here who feels a need for something? Speak up!

Do you run a database for the projects, or is it read from a profile file in their respective dirs? (note: I'm not up to speed on database management) Perhaps it would be interesting to have a look at the current code for that.

I realize I should switch back the tag line, and will do so when creating the new item markers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: