FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux Issues with Build 3.00

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Linux Issues with Build 3.00 Reply with quote

On Linux, I type in:

Quote:
build foo.d

and get this error:

Quote:
Error: build:Cannot find application '/home/john/bin/gcc' to run

It shouldn't be looking in my local shell path. Or, I should say, build shouldn't be looking only in my local shell path. It should be looking in the system path.

If I type gcc on the command line, gcc is completely accessible... just not through build.

Can you look into this?

-JJR
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux Issues with Build 3.00 Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
On Linux, I type in:

Quote:
build foo.d

and get this error:

Quote:
Error: build:Cannot find application '/home/john/bin/gcc' to run

It shouldn't be looking in my local shell path. Or, I should say, build shouldn't be looking only in my local shell path. It should be looking in the system path.

If I type gcc on the command line, gcc is completely accessible... just not through build.

Can you look into this?

-JJR

I need more information.

I'm assuming you have not made any changes to either dmd.conf or build.cfg, and that 'gcc' is being used as your linker.

I'm guessing you have a LINKCMD= line in your dmd.conf file. Can you show me what that looks like?

If you want 'gcc' to be found on the normal $PATH list, your LINKCMD in the dmd.conf file should just look like ...
Code:

LINKCMD=gcc

Build does not scan the path looking for 'gcc'. It just uses whatever you supply in the LINKCMD. If you don't have a LINKCMD it just runs 'gcc' and not '$HOME/gcc'
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LINKCMD?

I didn't know about that until you mentioned it... nor do I use it. My dmd.conf contains no LINKCMD line.

The only thing I've done is add a path to my local binaries to the ~/.bashrc file so that I can run local binaries automatically:

Quote:
PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"

This makes it easy for me to add local binaries to my home/john/bin directory and run them from anywhere else (in this case, I stick links to the dmd executables there, including build).

But I guess that shouldn't affect anything in this case?

gcc is a system-wide tool available to all users in my linux machines, so I don't know why build does this. I can use gcc via command-line easy enough. It just seems that build can't access it the same way (which doesn't make sense)? If build just runs gcc (since I don't have a LINKCMD), why is it not working in my case?

I tried adding a LINKCMD=gcc (since you mentioned it) and this is what happened:

Quote:
Error: build:Cannot find application '/=gcc' to run

If build tries to just run gcc either way it has troubles. Maybe it's not calling the exec process right? As I said before gcc runs fine from the commandline, just not from build.

-JJR
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build 3.01 can now see gcc properly, thanks!

But it seems to pass the object files incorrectly now.

When I type "build @full.brf" on the command line (to build build itself in the Source directory), I get this:

Code:
gcc: build.o,build_bn.o,source.o,source_bn.o,uti: No such file or directory
gcc: /str.o,util/str_bn.o,util/linetoken.o,util/linetoken_bn.o,util/booltype.o,util/fdt.o,util/fdt_bn.o,util/pathex.o,util/pathex_bn.o,util/fileex.o,util/fileex_bn.o,util/macro.o,-ofbuild,-lc,-lphobos,-lm,: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files

I haven't navigated the source, but I imagine it's just a little fix somewhere.

Thanks for all your hard work.

-JJR
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: