FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initial import feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Initial import feedback Reply with quote

Hi, just got done trying out the initial version of FreeUniverse. It looks very promising Very Happy Here's what I thought so far...

1) It took me a while to figure out how to start the game, maybe have a list of all the controls somewhere.

2) The game runs too fast on my machine (school just issued me a new laptop, yes!). I'd recommend that you use the delay timer code that I also use in my asteroids tutorial. http://arcgames.dsource.org/arc/arc/time.html . What this will do is make it so the game doesn't use 100? of my CPU and so all computers will play the game at the same rate. It only causes delays if the computer is too fast to play the game, and only delays exactly the amount of time needed in order to make it the same speed on all fast computers.

3) I'd recommend you use the Arc v.1 zipfile (if you are not already) and if you are, re-download and extract it. For some reason your FreeUniverse.exe requires devil.dll libraries, this is either because you are using the SVN or an Arc v.1 zipfle which got mixed up somehow. I wouldn't recommend the SVN because things are going (and are) to be broken before the v.2 release.

Looks very nice so far!
~ Clay
Phr00t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) It took me a while to figure out how to start the game, maybe have a list of all the controls somewhere.

I just added some very basic control documentation to my FreeUniverse project page here on dsource.org Smile

Quote:
2) The game runs too fast on my machine (school just issued me a new laptop, yes!). I'd recommend that you use the delay timer code that I also use in my asteroids tutorial. http://arcgames.dsource.org/arc/arc/time.html . What this will do is make it so the game doesn't use 100? of my CPU and so all computers will play the game at the same rate. It only causes delays if the computer is too fast to play the game, and only delays exactly the amount of time needed in order to make it the same speed on all fast computers.

Grr.. I thought I was already using some time.process() function that I thought was using a delay function? I'll have to check this out and get this fixed.

Quote:
3) I'd recommend you use the Arc v.1 zipfile (if you are not already) and if you are, re-download and extract it. For some reason your FreeUniverse.exe requires devil.dll libraries, this is either because you are using the SVN or an Arc v.1 zipfle which got mixed up somehow. I wouldn't recommend the SVN because things are going (and are) to be broken before the v.2 release.

Yes.. I have been using the SVN Smile I can't help but think something was fixed / improved after the v.1 zip was made, and thats why I am using the SVN? I'll revert to the zip and see how things go -- I should do this anyway for compatibility reasons.

Quote:
Looks very nice so far!

Thanks! I *should* have an update checked-in later tonight with these things fixed -- I'm also working on item spawnage and a few other things.

Thank you!
- jeremy
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the zipfile up to date with bug fixes. The zip files I will be using for 'stable' releases, and SVN will only be for development. I learned it was a pain to maintain two different SVN branches and zipfiles as well.

Time.process does not automatically call a delay function. You have to call 'delay' seperately.

I'll take a look at those docs now.

edit: Another tip - the closer to power of 2 texture sizes the less 'blurry' opengl will make them to turn them into power of 2 textures. You may want to experiment with this a little bit.
Phr00t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
edit: Another tip - the closer to power of 2 texture sizes the less 'blurry' opengl will make them to turn them into power of 2 textures. You may want to experiment with this a little bit.

I'm so glad you told me this! Some of my ships/projectiles looked like crap and I didn't know why! Smile

I will add a delay function in my next release... I don't think there will be a release tonight... it has been a busier day than anticipated Sad
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright... tell me when you add the delay timer and I'll try it out again.
Phr00t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been added since revision 7 Smile I'm up to a whopping revision *8* now Wink What are you at, 460? Very Happy Let me know how it works

Thanks!
- jeremy
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed is much better now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> FreeUniverse All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: