FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You might be interested

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aldacron

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: You might be interested Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of doing some conversions for use in a future project. I'm considering requesting a project here. It's a set of modules for OpenGL, DX, and misc. libs (libpng, libjpeg, perhaps oggvorbis stuff). I know some of that already has been done by others, but I'm structuring these so that the shared libs are loaded dynamically rather than requiring a link to the implib.

If you guys are interested in such a beast, that would certainly motivate me to open a project here sooner Smile. I'm nearly finished with the Windows opengl implementation, and will be working on DInput next.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that this should be of interest to Sinbad. Does this mean that all of the gl functions will be used through function pointers and those horrible PFNGLSOMEFUNCTION names? (not necessarily a problem since they probably can be aliased).
JJR

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: You might be interested Reply with quote

aldacron wrote:
I'm in the middle of doing some conversions for use in a future project. I'm considering requesting a project here. It's a set of modules for OpenGL, DX, and misc. libs (libpng, libjpeg, perhaps oggvorbis stuff). I know some of that already has been done by others, but I'm structuring these so that the shared libs are loaded dynamically rather than requiring a link to the implib.

If you guys are interested in such a beast, that would certainly motivate me to open a project here sooner Smile. I'm nearly finished with the Windows opengl implementation, and will be working on DInput next.

Please do! I think this would be a very good thing. I've been frustrated by the need to scrounge around for libraries. There are more than one D opengl ports of various degrees of completion... It would be nice to have a standard dsource set of these libraries so people wouldn't have to always hunt for them. Two other ports I think should get svn'ed here are the glfw port and the glee port. And most definitely sdl...
csauls

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this would very likely become useful for us! I hadn't even started to consider what port we would end up using for our GL/DX bindings, and I would like to see GL made the default/preferred binding -- which I believe is OGRE's philosophy as well, so it'd be good to have a GL lib lined up.
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
Does this mean that all of the gl functions will be used through function pointers and those horrible PFNGLSOMEFUNCTION names? (not necessarily a problem since they probably can be aliased).

Actually no Smile I'm avoiding all Win32isms, with the exception of the wgl module. All function pointers are aliased to the approriate gl* function name.

JJR wrote:

There are more than one D opengl ports of various degrees of completion... It would be nice to have a standard dsource set of these libraries so people wouldn't have to always hunt for them.

That and the fact that the existing ports all require an implib are what motivated me to start this. When using DLLs, I have adopted the habit of *never* linking an implib with the main executable. It's then impossible to handle missing DLLs gracefully, and the user is subjected to that Windows popup 'A required file yadda, yadda". So these modules will all be dynamically loaded, without the need for the implibs.

csauls wrote:

Yes this would very likely become useful for us!

Alrighty then. I'll pop off a request to get a project opened up here.
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woohoo! Derelict is the new project name. I'll get the OpenGL code checked in as soon as I figure out how to use Subversion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sinbad All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: