FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attachments in Trac

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Attachments in Trac Reply with quote

I tried to add a diff as an attachment to a ticket (#11) over at the DDL trac, but I got a permission denied error. I believe this should be allowed to make Trac more useful.
pragma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the model for Trac is more akin to a closed-development environment, where project managers and content managers are the only ones who get to modify what is in Trac. Developers would get second-class citizenship in the system so they can close or at least annotate their tickets.

Sure its not very convienient for customers/community, but it helps maintain the state of the project. This is doubly important since its public-facing, so you don't want just anyone messing with the ticket queue.

However, it would be nice if everyone could modify the wiki.. which was my assumption when I put up the 'guestbook'. I gather that you can't post there as well, Larsivi?

If you could, just email me that diff and I'll fold it into a ticket if there's not already one open for this issue. Thanks! Smile
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
AFAIK, the model for Trac is more akin to a closed-development environment, where project managers and content managers are the only ones who get to modify what is in Trac. Developers would get second-class citizenship in the system so they can close or at least annotate their tickets.

Sure its not very convienient for customers/community, but it helps maintain the state of the project. This is doubly important since its public-facing, so you don't want just anyone messing with the ticket queue.

However, it would be nice if everyone could modify the wiki.. which was my assumption when I put up the 'guestbook'. I gather that you can't post there as well, Larsivi?

If you could, just email me that diff and I'll fold it into a ticket if there's not already one open for this issue. Thanks! Smile

As you might notice, I've already created two tickets on the DDL trac Smile Both are fairly trivial and easy to fix, so someone might find them unnecessary/disturbing in the overall project administration.

When it comes to the role of Trac (and specificially the tickets), they are meant to be a replacement for bugzilla (at least in the eyes of the Trac developers themselves), which in almost all open source projects, is a public service. This was also what I expected when I first heard that Brad wanted to integrate Trac with the rest of dsource. However, Trac standalone is supposed to be able to let the manager decide who has what sort of access, so maybe that is possible here too?

Oh, and I had no problems modifying the guestbook.
pragma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh.. well forget what I said then. I'm glad that you found the Trac install useful; I was wondering if anyone had wandered their way there to poke at it. Smile

Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: