FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csauls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Updating Reply with quote

As per various comments, maybe the Tutorials should be updated to use things that have come to D since the project started? Such as writef/writefln, in the early "fundamental" tutorials. I'm willing to sit and scan them for updates myself, but didn't want to go screwing with anything without a go-ahead. Wink Don't feel like stepping on toes today.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
As per various comments, maybe the Tutorials should be updated to use things that have come to D since the project started? Such as writef/writefln, in the early "fundamental" tutorials. I'm willing to sit and scan them for updates myself, but didn't want to go screwing with anything without a go-ahead. Wink Don't feel like stepping on toes today.
This is a good point. Thanks for asking.

I don't really think that printf should be used in teaching D. The printf function is a lot more dangerous and unhelpful for debugging compared to writef/writefln. Of course, since these tutorials were started before writef/writefln were available, printf is still in examples all over the place. And since the new functions use a little different syntax, the new version would have to be checked to ensure they work properly.

So please feel free to edit out the printf's. I'd appreciate any help that you'd provide in this area.

It might be a nice idea to keep a few examples that use printf for the sake of showing another way of doing things (that might still be used in other projects). If you see an example that seems to be particularly useful for teaching print, too, you might might add a variant call BlahBlahWithPrintf example. And with the way that Trac works, if I decide to add back the printf alternates myself, it'd be easy for me to do this. So you're welcome to make changes.
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls, the changes you've been making look great!

I just wanted to mention that I guess you can remove most of the "Source" sections at the end if you want (you don't have to edit them to add your name and the new time). If someone wants to find that info all they need to do is look at the "Page History". The Source sections don't have much of a purpose now that the original dsource tutorial links are dead. If the source does still exist, such as a newsgroup post or another page that is still "live", it is nice to leave a link to the original source, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: