FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a suggestion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Just a suggestion Reply with quote

Would be nice if there is some kind of funcion which accepts someting like
["mymodule","int","myfunction","int","void*"] and returns the name of the function like _D66mymodulw42389Sadsflkh2398fjlsadflsdjfl etc... And also since all the functions in a .obj are in the same module it could be skipped in some cases... Or maybe there is but I am unaware?
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just a suggestion Reply with quote

[quote="bobef"]Would be nice if there is some kind of funcion which accepts someting like
["mymodule","int","myfunction","int","void*"] and returns the name of the function like _D66mymodulw42389Sadsflkh2398fjlsadflsdjfl etc... [quote]

Well, technically you get that now via the .mangleof property on all D types.

As for a runtime facility, there isn't one yet but I plan on having one at some point.

Quote:
And also since all the functions in a .obj are in the same module it could be skipped in some cases... Or maybe there is but I am unaware?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by this. Could you please reword your question? Smile
bobef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the following thing. First this "Or maybe there is but I am unaware?" sentence should follow the previous not this one.
"And also since all the functions in a .obj are in the same module it could be skipped in some cases..." by this I mean that all the mangled names, or how is this "_d6asdjkasdkajhfkah4873fkadfh2934fhdasklfh3i" thing called, in a single .obj file are prefixed by the same module name i.e. _D6module, so if I have something like

Code:

typedef void function(int) mytype;

and if I am able to say mytype.mangleof and it gives me how the compiler would call this function it still woudn't know the name of the module I am loading it from, but since all the functions there have the same module prefix we can skip it. In simple words what I want to be able to do is something like this.

Code:

library l=loadddl("myobject.obj");
mytype t=cast(mytype)l.getSymbol(mytype.mangleof);
if(t) t();
pragma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobef wrote:
Code:

if(t) t();

Noted. Honestly, I don't see DDL being useful if the above doesn't become possible. We're already most of the way to doing just this! Smile
Don Clugston

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

typedef void function(int) mytype;

if(t) t();

It needs to know the name of the function, somehow. But the good news is, the casting is unnecessary. This is possible:

Code:
mytype t = l.getSymbol!(mytype, "myfunc")();
// or even
auto t2 = l.getSymbol!(mytype, "myfunc")();

Which is almost ideal.
Implicit function instantiation could make this situation pretty interesting, eg, in many cases we could hide the fact that templates are being used.

Code:
mytype t;

l.getSymbol(t, "myfunc");

[/code]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DDL - D Dynamic Libraries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: