FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outage 2006.2.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Outage 2006.2.3 Reply with quote

Some backhoe cut into power lines and our entire building was without power this morning (CST). Server is back now.

BA
pragma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh.. the dreaded backhoe. The Internet's natural enemy:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/19/1643215

Well okay, it was powerlines in your case but its all the same really. All it takes is for one fool to not bother to survey and a whole block goes down in a heartbeat.

I hope this particular post cheers you up.

http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=174425&cid=14512106
Code:

Said in that Australian accent we've come to know and love:

Today I'm going to show you one of the wonders of nature. If you look down in that hole there you can long fibrous tendrils. Those are fiber optic cables and they snake their way through the ground all over the world.

Crikey, it's nice to see them. Usually they stay underground so this is really special. Just look at the size of the hole they make as they burrow through the earth.

Oh look! I didn't expect this. The only known enemy to these folks is coming over to investigate. The backhoe. Look at those nasty pointed teeth. I wouldn't want to get caught by them I'll tell you.

I'll just walk away so I don't disturb him. This could get real exciting any moment.

*growl* *snort* dig dig dig dig

Look at that! This is a real treat. The backhoe is digging up the fiber optic! Look at the way those teeth just dig into the soil and expose those poor buggers. Oh wow, just look at it as it tears those fibers to ribbons.

I know it may seem cruel to stand by and do nothing but this is part of nature. Someone has to eat and someone has to be eaten.

But don't worry mate, those fiber optics grow back real quick. In fact, they grow so quickly there will never be a shortage of them no matter how many get eaten by the backhoe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: