FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File system and installation suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: File system and installation suggestions Reply with quote

I have read some of your suggestions on file system and installation suggestion and here are mine, based of some of the others suggestions.

Because this kernel was supposed to be a modern kernel I also think the file system(and everything else) should be modern and thats why I think it would be great with a database file system, implemented using a SQL or object oriented database or what ever works best. How the information should be stored in the database could be in several ways, two suggestions: have attributes for meta info, date, file type, and so on, and one for the actual data. Or you could store the data(that would work good for settings) with to attributes key and value.

When you want to access a file you just search for it or use filters.

Then (if we talk in SQL terms) you maybe can use views(I think it's called) to increase security and how files are handled. You can have one system view, one view for every user, one pubic view (to let user share files), maybe one private online for every user, maybe a public online for the users. Then the user only have access to it's own view, probably it should also be some sort of administrator user also that have more access.

About the installation of application I vote for "one click" installation, I really like how it works on osx with simpler applications, when you just drag the icon to the application folder.

I think it could be two installation dialogs, one simple and one advanced. The simple one could look as follow: a basic window, two input fields, one for name (with a default name already in place) and one for keywords(optional), an install button (maybe one to get the default name back). Every application will get it's own view were it installs all it's necessary files(and it's the only place were it can install something) and when it's time to uninstall the application it deletes everything in it's own view. I think that could be a good and clean way to install/uninstall applications.

About keywords, I think for everything you create that will be in the file system(like a file) I think you should enter a filename and optional keywords.

These are just thoughts and suggestions and not strictly rules so feel free to comment and build on these suggestions.

Excuse for any bad English and not very well written text.
Rohan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you plane to save programs settings in application folder or in DB ?
And which config format should system use?

IMHO - when program is uninstall it can ask user "do you want to keep settings", and if user want it program compress and backup settings in a special folder
like /user/backup/settings/programs/

And if we run installation program again installer asked about restore settings from backup.
doob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planed to save the settings in the DB, in the applications own view, because there is no regular folders.
Yes there could be a good idea to have the option to save settings after the application is uninstalled
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Titan All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: