FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vertex Arrays

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quartz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Vertex Arrays Reply with quote

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone has used Vertex Arrays with D/Dererlict yet. I am attempting to use them but no success yet. I can use immediate mode and Displaylists fine but converting it to VAs doesn't seem to work.

I made sure when I allocated arrays as GLunit* and not GLuint[] such that it works with the OpenGL C API.

Of course i could have something wrong with how i am filling the arrays.

Any suggestions? I appreciate it.
jaak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following worked for me:

Code:

GLfloat[]   qtVertices;
GLfloat[]   qtColors;
GLuint[]    qtList;

// create lists here as normal dynamic arrays

glVertexPointer (3, GL_FLOAT, 0, qtVertices.ptr);
glColorPointer (3, GL_FLOAT, 0, qtColors.ptr);
glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, N, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, qtList.ptr);
quartz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Vertex Arrays Reply with quote

Thanks jaak,

Oops, I went back and analyzed my code further and found my mistakes. I was defining my vertex coords wrong. However, your suggestion seems like a better way of passing arrays to C than declaring pointers. I do want the bounds checking feature of D but i didn't realize you could use the .ptr property like that. I guess the .ptr property skips over the hidden array info stuff.

Now my trival game runs about several times faster with VertexArrays!, Yea! I ported an earlier version of mine, done in java, to D in order to evaluate the language and I am very, very impressed with D. I will be posting my D version tonight some time but here is the current site for it. I admit it is a silly game, but fun to write and play:
http://distanthumans.info/programming/java/spout.php

Seeing as D is an excellent language (what C++ should have been long ago), I have stopped mid stream with my Bosconian clone and will now begin porting it over. I may look into clayasaurus's engine after a while; I'm not that much into to lua though, i much prefer python.

Thanks for the info and suggestion. Surprised

-Will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: