FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts before we tell the NG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Thoughts before we tell the NG Reply with quote

(Unless you count Ant's post as leaking it).

What do we need to do for this thing to be somewhat ready? I'd like to tell everyone on Friday, or a bit after.
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're ready for showtime to me! Very Happy
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty near to being ready.

Just one suggestion:

I was looking over the tutorial listings and found it very awkward to peruse. There's no real organization currently other than to label the topic type (Template, Fundamentals, Standard Library, etc) at one end. Do you think it would be a better idea to present the reader with a directory structure: clicking a topic (like Fundamentals or Template) opens up a list of tutorial nodes under that category. It would keep things a little simpler . This list of tutorials could get quite long and unmanageable otherwise. Maybe a "search" feature may eventually be a good idea too.

Otherwise, excellent work on this site. I am impressed to see how fast it has been developed. And it looks quite professional.

I'd still like to give a go at a Opengl tutorial. I've just finished a big exam (and hopefully passed it Razz), so I should have more time now for things soon including DWT. The only immediate bottleneck is that it's income tax time! Ouch...

Later,

John
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right that the tutorials aren't organized. Right now they simply show up in the order that they were first submitted. That's going to need to change.

I've thought that maybe we should add an view_order field to the database. They could be sorted on that. And we probably also need to do what you suggest about having the user select a topic first. Only recently did I add I bunch of examples and it does look a bit crowded now.

Since we're basicly starting from scratch, we have an advantage and corresponding disadvantage.

Advantage: It's pretty easy for me to change this stuff because I'm very aware of how the code works.

Disadvantage: Things aren't as smooth as they can be because I haven't done everything I plan to do and I don't necessarily know everything that I want to do.
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! You fixed the tutorial section! Nice work!

It should be as close as ever to getting a formal announcement on the newsgroup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: