FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Documentation on features of DDL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Documentation on features of DDL Reply with quote

It has come to my attention that quite a few don't really get the point of DDL, and most likely this is because it isn't very easy to see the more advanced features, like compile time reflection, finding classes that implements an interface, calling of the ctor, etc.

For non-Windows-users, the problems with .dll's (garbage collection and exceptions cross binary boundaries) are moot, because this is a problem with how programs are loaded on Windows. Using gdc to compile D programs and link .so's, you'll get D programs where garbage collection and exceptions just work. Thus the other features of DDL needs to get stronger attention, for instance in the FAQ and the About DDL. Also, talking about DLL and SO in the same sentence might not always be technical correct Smile
Gregor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

If you want to make a statement aimed a UNIX users, start with your regular statement aimed at Windows users, then remove every element you added that makes you go "ARGH, DLLS SUCK". As it turns out, .so files do /not/ suck, and just about everything Microsoft did wrong in usinging COFF to make PE AT&T did right when they abandoned COFF for ELF Smile
pragma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points all.

I'll make a point of touting the higher-level stuff as it comes online. I noticed that out in the DNG, the lib is really going to need this kind of stuff (easier reflection, etc) in order to gain wider adoption.

On my next doc pass, I'll see about divorcing the sentiments leveled at .dll files from .so files - as Lars is correct, they don't apply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DDL - D Dynamic Libraries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: