FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September 28th -- finally free

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: September 28th -- finally free Reply with quote

WHELL after three weeks, I've finally got some free time to work on MiniD! Here's what's going on:

• Haven't worked too much on classes. But one thing that has changed is that there is now no "new" expression for various reasons. Instead, like Squirrel, to instantiate a class, you call the class as if it were a function, and that will create an instance and call the "constructor" method.

• Created the new "delegate" type and got it working. It's a little suboptimal performancewise, but that can certainly be changed. What has changed with it, however, is that it's still a native type but it has no special syntax. Instead, you call the "delegate" library function to create it. In addition, you can bind as many parameters to a function as you'd like -- think currying in functional languages.

Code:
    local function foo(x, y, z)
    {
        writefln("x = ", x, " y = ", y, " z = ", z);
    }

local dg1 = delegate(foo, 2);
    local dg2 = delegate(foo, 5, 6, 7);

dg1(3, 4); // writes "x = 2 y = 3 z = 4"
    dg2(); // writes "x = 5 y = 6 z = 7"

This, of course, can be used to create D-style delegates, that is, you can bind a "this" parameter to a class function:

Code:
    class A
    {
        x = 0;

method foo()
        {
            writefln("x = ", this.x);
        }
    }

local a = A(); // notice the new syntax to instantiate a class
    a.x = 5;
    a:foo(); // prints "x = 5"

local dg = delegate(A.foo, a);
    dg(); // prints "x = 5"

• Been thinking about iteration, and I think I'm going to keep it Lua-style. I was thinking about making it D-style, where foreach bodies are turned into callback delegates, but that's just kind of a pain in the ass, and also involves creating a new closure for the foreach body every time the loop starts (the first time, not every iteration). So I'll keep it Lua-style. I also thought about making a new "iterator" or "generator" type, one which the VM would know would be collectable as soon as the loop is over, for performance, but that's kind of a minor issue.

So yeah. I've got some homework to do this weekend, but it's really basic C programming, so that shouldn't take long. So it looks like a weekend of fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: