FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to build or to bud? That is the question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: to build or to bud? That is the question. Reply with quote

Greetings and happy 2007.

I am having trouble building DBI because it says,

Quote:
15:27:06.21>dmd -run buildme.d all
'bud' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Press any key to continue . . .

but I have build.exe on my path. So, I copied build.exe and renamed the copy bud.exe and now, though I am having other problems, buildme.d is going through the steps. My question is, what is the name of the utility? I have always used build.exe, but now I see that other folks are using bud.exe and I had not heard of that name previously.

What is the name to be used? Is it bud.exe or build.exe? We should probably come to a consensus on this, since this utility will be used a lot and if folks start to naming it as they please, it could get ugly.

thanks,

josé
jicman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: to build or to bud? That is the question. Reply with quote

jicman wrote:
Greetings and happy 2007.

I am having trouble building DBI because it says,

Quote:
15:27:06.21>dmd -run buildme.d all
'bud' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Press any key to continue . . .

but I have build.exe on my path. So, I copied build.exe and renamed the copy bud.exe and now, though I am having other problems, buildme.d is going through the steps. My question is, what is the name of the utility? I have always used build.exe, but now I see that other folks are using bud.exe and I had not heard of that name previously.

What is the name to be used? Is it bud.exe or build.exe? We should probably come to a consensus on this, since this utility will be used a lot and if folks start to naming it as they please, it could get ugly.

thanks,

josé

I guess this is not being watched... Sad
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice this thread: Away from computers? You might need to wait a few days for a reply from Derek Parnell.

For what it's worth, it's probably helpful to note that in the downloads folder the new versions are called "bud_*". The bud executable in my dmd/bin folder is called "bud.exe", too.
jicman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, didn't notice it is. Sorry. Thanks for the explanation.

jic
snoyberg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: to build or to bud? That is the question. Reply with quote

jicman wrote:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/build/wiki/Build_Remaining

I've also noticed a few projects refering to "build" while others refer to "bud." Hopefully soon everyone will make the name change.

Michael
MrTact

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing the project get a more substantial rename. The dropping of 2 letters only made it more confusing, IMHO. And "bud" simply does not feel like the name of a construction utility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: