FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D & DUIT Tutorial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
okibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: D & DUIT Tutorial Reply with quote

Hello D Programmers!

I'm currently writing a D & DUIT Tutorial and would like to know what areas need to be covered. I know there are many would-be D programmers out there if there was only a good tutorial. Well, what are you all looking for?

Also, I'm looking to do a lot of the tutorial on DUIT. Personally, I think it is the best GUI library for D, but I just love GTK+. What all do you guys want?
hauptmech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: D & DUIT Tutorial Reply with quote

okibi wrote:
Hello D Programmers!

Also, I'm looking to do a lot of the tutorial on DUIT. Personally, I think it is the best GUI library for D, but I just love GTK+. What all do you guys want?

Want help? I'm new to GTK; I can probably offer insight into what is or is not obvious to a newbie... Are you composing the tutorial at a public site? (dsource, wiki4d, etc)

I am presently making my way through the gtk tutorial and doing a literal translation of the tutorial programs... (meaning I am not rewriting the programs into a form better suited to D OOP... because I wouldn't know what that is coming from a C background)
okibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tutorial can be found on my d site, [url]ddev.ratedo.com[/url]. The tutorial does not yet cover any duit code, only basic d. I'm currently writing chapter 2, which will show some more programming.

What I'd like to know is what confuses beginners and what they want to know how to do.
hauptmech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okibi wrote:

What I'd like to know is what confuses beginners and what they want to know how to do.

The problem I have always had with all tutorials and texts is that the writer cannot know my exact background and write it just for me. Often I come across things where the author made an assumption that I had no clue about it. This creates a break in my learning while I go look up the definition or pick up a more basic text on the subject.

My suggestion is to write a D tutorial as if the audience were expert programmers. Set it up such that each new visitor to the tutorial can easily give you feedback on what they don't get because of a hole in their background and then you can start filling in details.

...if you goal it to write a tutorial for absolute beginners to programming; which would be great.... I'd find a couple of the most recommended beginners texts out there for existing languages and base it off of that.

Another thought is that you can only do so much reading before you want to see code that does something "interesting". Lots of first programs called "helloworld" and few called "expression_with_no_output".

My background is lot's of C programming for embedded and real-time applications and API's. I've started in on C++ and Java several times but bailed on C++ because it made my code more complicated and Java because I couldn't get a development environment set up to compile the crap.

SO, what I want to learn about is OOP and also what Templates can do for me. Also, the language reference on digital mars is good but could use more examples and some repitition of information. What confuses me is when I can't compile the example code; when I don't have my dev environment set up right because I don't know any better.

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: