FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fix for brightness issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guillaume

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Fix for brightness issue Reply with quote

When playing around for 5 mins with mplayer, I found out what causes the brightness issues, described in the FAQ. It simply is the -brightness 0 command passed to mplayer by rulesplayer.

Simply put, when using this commandline:
Code:
mplayer [videofile] -brightness 0
it will be too bright.
When using
Code:
mplayer [videofile]
it will have the right brightness.

So, this can be an easy fix for rulesPlayer Smile

Keep on the good work!

[edit]
I just removed
Code:
-brightness $$v_brightness
from config.kfg and there's no problem anymore.

To figure out the problem a bit more, I tried some values for the brightness command of mplayer. The strange thing is that to get the Brightness to 0? in the Overlay mixer of the ATi Control Panel, I have to set the -brightness for mplayer to -85.

Just a quick question: (why) isn't it possible to adjust the Gamma Correction through mplayer??
bobef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help.

Quote:
To figure out the problem a bit more, I tried some values for the brightness command of mplayer. The strange thing is that to get the Brightness to 0? in the Overlay mixer of the ATi Control Panel, I have to set the -brightness for mplayer to -85.

I am not sure I understand what you mean (sorry for my poor English). So, when your brightness, gamma and other color controls are set to their default values in the overlay mixer, do you still need to set the brightness to -85 in mplayer to make it look right?

Quote:
Just a quick question: (why) isn't it possible to adjust the Gamma Correction through mplayer??

If I remember correctly, the gamma control is not supported for directx output, which is the only possible option here since the opengl output is not working good...
Guillaume

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobef wrote:
Thank you for your help.
Quote:

I am not sure I understand what you mean (sorry for my poor English). So, when your brightness, gamma and other color controls are set to their default values in the overlay mixer, do you still need to set the brightness to -85 in mplayer to make it look right?

Correct. The brightness will be set to 0? in the overlay mixer if and only if I pass the -brightness -85 command, instead of -brightness 0.

bobef wrote:
Quote:

If I remember correctly, the gamma control is not supported for directx output, which is the only possible option here since the opengl output is not working good...

That's odd, because I can adjust the Gamma Correction slider in the ATi Control Panel, with effect, when running rulesPlayer...
bobef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole problem is very odd. Maybe it is driver related or something... I have Radeon 9550 and the brightness control is working great for me...
Guillaume

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This occurs on:

- a Radeon 9600 Pro with NGO Optimized Driver v1.6.3 (Catalyst v6.3)
- a Radeon X1300 Pro with Official Catalyst 6.11
bobef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can do something... Thank you for your help and time.
CH2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry that my English expression is poor.
Same issue happened to my pc with Geforce.

Windows XP SP2
Geforce 6200A (Forceware 84.21)
RulesPlayer 0.99.2
Mplayer mingw32-1.0rc1
MplayerCodecs windows-all-20061022

In addition, Forceware 84.xx is known as stable driver.

This issue solved with removing the code ''-brightness $$v_brightness'' from ''config.kfg''.
After this, the issue reproduced if I enable ''Reset Color Controls'' but I could solve it by fixing overlay brightness setting in Forceware.

Rulesplayer is extremely useful !
I've never seen such a smooth fast forward/rewind by dragging seek bar.
Thanks to author.
Guillaume

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with rulesPlayer, it is caused by a bug in Mplayer. I haven't tried any newer version of Mplayer yet, but I'm sure this problem has been addressed and perhaps even fixed in a newer unofficial release. I'm quite surprised to hear that this bug even affects GeForce videocards. Ah well, it's a small price to pay not to being able to adjust the brightness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> rulesPlayer All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: