FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dsc IO package - Alpha
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

You calling me a wussy?!

Laughing

PS. You sure you are ready for cold turkey? Shocked
*bows with reverence*
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thinkpad T41 is pretty sweet. And Gentoo has behaved okay. I've had some issues with X, some with ALSA (sound), but most else is just fine. And this thing is fast!!
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's quite an experience. Alsa can be somewhat of a pain on some systems. On my Compaq alsa sound drivers work flawlessly. It sometimes has somewhat to do with how you compile your custom kernel. X can be a bit of challenge to set up too. I don't recall what the T41 has for a graphics chipset; but mine has a ATI 9200 in it, and I've got OpenGL hardware 3D acceleration working beautifully -- makes the 3D screensavers look great.

Are you using Gnome or KDE for the GUI? (I have both Gnome and KDE 3.2. KDE 3.2 will make the whole linux experience seem even faster -- this recent version has been very specifically optimized for performance).

I'm using a gentoo-dev-2.6 kernel, reportedly faster overall than 2.4 kernels.

Have fun,

John
kris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Bug in Dsc.io Reply with quote

There's a known bug whereby (1) ColumnWriter does not reset itself after a Newline is emitted, and (2) TextWriter delimits a Newline.

These are both due to a strange access-violation during a dynamic cast. For example:

Code:
                if (cast (INewlineWriter) x)
                    reset ();

is versioned-out right now in ColumnWriter, as is the same thing in TextWriter. I sent a short example of the issue to Walter last week; we'll see what he finds. In the meantime I didn't find a workaround, so decided to ignore the issue for the time being.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris,

Haven't had as much time as I would have liked. I did get my win32 program working on linux. Then started to look at IO... I may send all the code to you so you can start me off in the right direction.

I started looking at unittest.d, FileConduit part, and was wondering why Stdio was a struct with a ctor. I remember something about that in the NG, but couldn't remember what you were trying to do, or why you were asking...
kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
was wondering why Stdio was a struct with a ctor. I remember something about that in the NG, but couldn't remember what you were trying to do, or why you were asking...

Sdtio, and several others, are singletons (one global instance). They are currently implemented via a struct (with a static constructor) cos' I was just messing around with different ways of setting up the namespace: I'm a big fan of each module exposing its own namespace, rather than just a bunch of unprefixed names that might easily clash with some other module.

I've heard that Walter will eventually implement the private keyword on a constructor, so these singletons will likely be classes (with private constructor) by beta time. There will be no change to any user-code. Does that make some sense?
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Linux make Reply with quote

I'm interested in giving the latest dsc beta a go on Linux. Is there a makefile available yet for Linux? Brad, what changes to the makefile did you do to get it working on Linux?
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get it to compile, but not link. (The linking problem is mine on my linux box, and any assistance would be appreciated).

I don't see the Linux Makefile in with Beta 2, so when I get the Beta 2 running okay, I'll post it here, or email it to you.

BA
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, sounds good. Thanks.
kris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
I don't see the Linux Makefile in with Beta 2, so when I get the Beta 2 running okay, I'll post it here, or email it to you.
BA

I'm a dumbass. Especially today, where it seems like I forget everything. I think it's probably time to check-in the io package (and maybe the others), so there's less in the way of these problems. Perhaps I'll give that a go tomorrow?

- Kris
kris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

Dsc has become a family of sorts; there's Dsc.io, Dsc.server and Dsc.servlet. How about if we perhaps split the Dsc forums into 3 parts? Is that possible? This one would likely remain Dsc.io, whereas the other two would be new ones.

Dsc would have to change its meaning from "D Servlet Container" to something else, like "D Software Classes" or something equally as corny. I'm sure we can figure that one out later. Hey! Maybe that's a topic for a poll <g>

- Kris
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can make three different forums, but I can't link them all together in a DSC forum (i.e. sub-forums). I'll put them into 3, with DSC in the name, and we'll see how it works out. Do you want a general one as well?
kris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
I can make three different forums, but I can't link them all together in a DSC forum (i.e. sub-forums). I'll put them into 3, with DSC in the name, and we'll see how it works out. Do you want a general one as well?

Wow! That was fast work. I think it's fine as it is Brad and, as you say, we'll see how it pans out -- thanks much!

- Kris
kris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW; do you think all the servlet code should be called dervlet, or perhaps something else? Personally, I'm happy with it as it is; but some may prefer it with a D persona (and perhaps, just perhaps, Sun might become upset)?

- Kris
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like dervlet, so I'd probably leave it. Are you sure servlet is a Sun-ism? It seems generic enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: