FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why no Phobos support?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Why no Phobos support? Reply with quote

Greetings. I downloaded v73 and installed it, but I am now getting this error,
Quote:
C:\cygwin\home\us319318\source\d\dbi\Registry.d(9): module Util cannot read file 'tango\text\Util.d'

I went and read the new change log and I found this statement,
Quote:
phobos is being deprecated, tango will be the main supported library

I went to the dmd change log and found no statement about Phobos being deprecated. Is this a DDBI decision or a dmd's? I have too much code using Phobos and I can not go back and start making changes to all my libraries. My project would be cancelled, if I had to do this. YIKES! Surprised

I have many questions, but for now here are just 3:
1. how do I fix this without installing tango? (or do I have to go back to r62?)

2. Is there a revision that has the foreach iteration of the row fields that supports Phobos?

3. Is "dbi\Registry.d" the only library that it will ask me for, or will there be many others?

I guess I could just install tango for DDBI usage and slowly start moving my code into it.

Anyway, it is not that I don't like tango, it is just that I needed to do a lot of work to get this into my company, so, Phobos was the most complete library back then...

thanks for the help.

jose
stonecobra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Why no Phobos support? Reply with quote

jicman wrote:
Greetings. I downloaded v73 and installed it, but I am now getting this error,
Quote:
C:\cygwin\home\us319318\source\d\dbi\Registry.d(9): module Util cannot read file 'tango\text\Util.d'

I went and read the new change log and I found this statement,
Quote:
phobos is being deprecated, tango will be the main supported library

I went to the dmd change log and found no statement about Phobos being deprecated. Is this a DDBI decision or a dmd's? I have too much code using Phobos and I can not go back and start making changes to all my libraries. My project would be cancelled, if I had to do this. YIKES! Surprised

The intention of this is that as a library maintainer, I only really have the time to personally maintain and test one version. I will happily accept patches or get you write access if you would like to maintain phobos support. The intention for phobos support was that maybe tangobos (a compatibility library) could support the difference?

Quote:

I have many questions, but for now here are just 3:
1. how do I fix this without installing tango? (or do I have to go back to r62?)

2. Is there a revision that has the foreach iteration of the row fields that supports Phobos?

For #1, yes, rev 62 is the last. for #2, you could take a svn diff of rev67 and apply it to Row, if that is all you need right now.
Quote:

3. Is "dbi\Registry.d" the only library that it will ask me for, or will there be many others?

There will be many others. For example, I have started adding sql tracing via tango.util.log. As I said before the biggest issue is just supporting/testing phobos. If someone wants to step up and help with that, no problems.
Quote:

I guess I could just install tango for DDBI usage and slowly start moving my code into it.

Anyway, it is not that I don't like tango, it is just that I needed to do a lot of work to get this into my company, so, Phobos was the most complete library back then...

thanks for the help.

jose

Can you try out tangobos and let us know if it works well enough?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DDBI All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: