FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting more performance out of OpenGL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Florian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Getting more performance out of OpenGL Reply with quote

I recently stumbled across a talk about how to make OpenGL programs a lot faster. It was held by Eskil Steenberg, a member of the OpenGL Architectural Review Board, at Blender Conference 2006.

Here the links:
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=847205086747563852
http://www.quelsolaar.com/opengl_performance.txt

I haven't looked at the Yage sources though, so I have no idea if you already do it the way that Eskil recommends.

Thought it might interest you. Wink

Florian
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yage already uses VBO's on all hardware that supports it. I haven't gone so far as to sort objects by state or z-depth (beyond translucent ones), but it wouldn't be hard to support, as things are already organized. I hope to try it out sooner or later and do some profiling.

All camera's already render directly to textures. SDL doesn't support pbuffers and my hardware doesn't support FBO's (Radeon x600), so I'll have to wait for the next upgrade before supporting them.

The shader tips would've been helpful about three months ago before I ran into crazy limits and had no clue what was going on Confused

Many of the other optimization tips I'm already using, but there were a few things there and there I didn't know, so the link is appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Yage All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: