FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trapping the shutdown of a DFL program after a logout?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Portis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Trapping the shutdown of a DFL program after a logout? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a DFL system tray application that's doing what it should be (talking across the network to a Java server), but I've run across something strange.

I have a 'shutdown' procedure that's called when the application is closed, and it's firing in all cases *except* when the user logs out (or shuts down probably, but I didn't test that) from the workstation.
The DFL app is just 'forced' closed on logout, which leaves the network stuff still hanging around on the server.

I've run a few tests with a much simpler system tray application, and found that neither of these methods fire when the user logs out:
- using a delegate for Application.threadExit or ApplicationContext.threadExit
- overriding onClosing
- using the Form 'closed' method

After 'googling' a bit, I've seen this same problem with a few other Win32 languages/toolkits and it seems to be related to not handling the WM_ENDSESSION message correctly (or at all).
Hunting around in the DFL source reveals WM_ENDSESSION is handled to some degree in the SessionEndingEventArgs class in the Environment.d file, but I'm a little confused about how to use it.

Is there something I'm not doing (or doing wrong) that would stop DFL from catching logout events?

I can provide the simple DFL tray test program if it'll help.

Thanks in advance.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trapping the shutdown of a DFL program after a logout? Reply with quote

The code in DFL that uses WM_ENDSESSION is commented out, it's a future plan.

I assume your program hangs on logoff/shutdown because you have a separate thread waiting for socket events, so Windows tries waiting for that to end gracefully, but it's not setup to do so.

What I think you can do now is add a message filter (in the main thread, via Application.addMessageFilter) that looks for WM_ENDSESSION and breaks out of the socket stuff or forcefully exits the program (e.g. Environment.exit(0)).

Sorry about the late reply.
- Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: