FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(OT) odbc32.lib

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: (OT) odbc32.lib Reply with quote

Just a bit OT: where can I found info about odbc32.lib and the sql headers (sql.h, sqltypes.h, etc.)? BTW, those files aren't found in the DMC distro, the ones found in VC6 and .NET don't even work there (weird errors), so I had to use the ones in DB2 Personal Edition Exclamation
Anyway, any ideas? Uh, and what about platform-independent database development? Anyone? TIA.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: odbc32.lib Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
Just a bit OT: where can I found info about odbc32.lib and the sql headers (sql.h, sqltypes.h, etc.)?
I don't see how this is off topic.

In a recent newgroup post, it was suggested to run at the command line:
Code:
implib -s odbc32.dll

In other news, I've tried to port the sql.h & sqltypes.h files to D (and I make progress), but I'm not sure how valuable ODBC is in today's world. If you like, I'll make my old ODBC efforts available but (I should warn you), they're stale and probably flawed.

If it doesn't have to use ODBC, you might check out DatabaseBindings at Wiki4D. In particular SQLite might be an option (I think it's very platform independent and completely free).
Carlos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I guess we were duplicating efforts. The thing is that I've never worked so low-level when it comes to DB programming, so it's really new to me. What I really wanted was generic access to any DBMS, but I didn't know odbc32.dll existed, but since it was mentioned then I started to play a bit with it. Then I found sql.h and the like, but I keep getting an AV when freeing the environment handle, so there must be something wrong.
Anyway, if ODBC is kinda old, then what is the way for today's standards? Because, again, I'd like to (eventually) use the same code for accesing SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, MySql, PostgreSQL, etc. Java does that with JDBC, and each DBMS installs their appropiate libraries for other languages, but how are they used?
Every now and then I find myself using a DBMS (academic use, so I have to go through any/all of them), and I always have to discard D because I don't know how to do that. Now I don't want to discard it anymore.
(I hope it wasn't too much rambling.)
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of duplication of efforts around here. In this case, my ODBC stuff never worked quite right, so I was hesistant to release it (and now it's bit-rotted, too).

For your needs, ODBC is probably your best bet. It sounds like you might be close to success if you're getting stuff to compile.

I'll e-mail you a few files that I've worked on. They're incomplete, but they may be able to give you a hint at what the problem is.

I've long had an interest in getting ADO (newer Microsoft COM-based database technology) to work with D, but that would be even harder to accomplish than ODBC.
Carlos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going step by step and checking everything to compile and work sort of ok. I'm having trouble with SQLGetDiagRec (also AV), but other than that and what I already said, it seems to be fine.
Thanks for your help.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos, I tried to e-mail you, but apparently it was an old or invalid address because it bounced right back. So, I uploaded my flawed files to D Lab. I think you're already a member there (if not, it costs you nothing to join). The file is called odbc_exp.zip and it's in Files/unfinished.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
I'm having trouble with SQLGetDiagRec (also AV) ...
I'm not familiar with that function. It sounds like you've already made more progress than I ever did. Smile
Carlos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
Carlos, I tried to e-mail you, but apparently it was an old or invalid address because it bounced right back. So, I uploaded my flawed files to D Lab. I think you're already a member there (if not, it costs you nothing to join). The file is called odbc_exp.zip and it's in Files/unfinished.

Odd. Really odd.
But now that the files are available, I'll take a look to them. Thanks.
Carlos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the files, Justin, but I need 2 other modules: jcc7.procyon.win, jcc7.procyon.ole.
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should warn you again that this code hasn't been compiled in a while. I'm sure the compiler will complain about at least some of it. Sad

Anyways, for what it's worth, I uploaded win_ole.zip and jcc7_win32_com.zip to the unfinished folder at D Lab.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Someone else has now ported ODBC to D (and he probably did a much better job than I did): http://spottedtiger.tripod.com/D_Language/D_Support_Projects_XP.html
sean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... I wrote an ODBC wrapper in C++ a long time ago. If I find the time I'll brush the dust off and attempt a rewrite in D. One of the biggest problems with using ODBC is that the documentation is scattered, contradictory, and often just plain wrong. It took some trial and error before I got everything sorted out.
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Hrm... I wrote an ODBC wrapper in C++ a long time ago. If I find the time I'll brush the dust off and attempt a rewrite in D. One of the biggest problems with using ODBC is that the documentation is scattered, contradictory, and often just plain wrong. It took some trial and error before I got everything sorted out.
Cool. SpottedTiger's headers seem to work fine, but there can always be more documentation and examples, of course. I don't recall whether he wrapped anything in objects or not.

In my employment, I work a with ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) using VBA. A while back, I tried to port the ADO header to D. I spent a lot of effort with it, but in the end I didn't know what I was doing. I think I'll try again sometime with the assistance of the Core32 project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: