FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linking with SDL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norfenstein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Linking with SDL Reply with quote

This might be a newbie-ish problem, but I haven't had any success getting SDL to work with D. I got the compiler working fine, everything in the default locations (on Windows XP) and unzipped the SDL file on DedicateD to c:\d\sdl. I thought the following would work to compile the included test files (after changing string and c.stdio to std.string and std.c.stdio in the import section):

C:\d\sdl\test>dmd testbitmap.d picture.d -g -d -I..\

But I got a string of errors like this:

testbitmap.obj(testbitmap)
Error 42: Symbol Undefined _SDL_CreateRGBSurface

Related to all the SDL functions used in the program, followed by:

--- errorlevel 10

Adding the switch "-L..\" got me the following error above the rest:

OPTLINK : Warning 9: Unknown Option : NOI..\

And using "-c" got me no errors but an unworking exe, so I assume the problem is me not knowing how to properly use/link lib files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Linking with SDL Reply with quote

Norfenstein wrote:
This might be a newbie-ish problem, but I haven't had any success getting SDL to work with D. I got the compiler working fine, everything in the default locations (on Windows XP) and unzipped the SDL file on DedicateD to c:\d\sdl.
As old as that code is I'd say you're lucky to get it to compile. Smile I think there are several newer versions floating around. I don't know how much better it is, but you might want to look at s31552's web page.

Norfenstein wrote:
I thought the following would work to compile the included test files (after changing string and c.stdio to std.string and std.c.stdio in the import section):

C:\d\sdl\test>dmd testbitmap.d picture.d -g -d -I..\

But I got a string of errors like this:

testbitmap.obj(testbitmap)
Error 42: Symbol Undefined _SDL_CreateRGBSurface
This is a linking error (which means the compile phase was successful). It sounds like you need to add a .lib to the compile path, such as:
Code:
dmd testbitmap.d picture.d sdl.lib

Norfenstein wrote:

And using "-c" got me no errors but an unworking exe, so I assume the problem is me not knowing how to properly use/link lib files.
That's right.

Hopefully, the SDL.lib in the DedicateD archive will work for you. Otherwise, you might need to create your own .lib as I discussed with someone working with OpenGL recently.
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at my project 'Derelict' here on dsource. It was created to make it easier to use SDL and others, and you don't need to worry about SDL.lib. The dll is loaded explicitly, so you can catch an exception and fail gracefully if it is missing from the user's machine.

Derelict has an up-to-date (and working) SDL binding (along with OpenGL, GLU and an in-progress Python binding). From the Derelict download section, you can pickup Derelict-0.1, but if all you want is SDL you might just want to pull it directly from the svn repository (I recommend that anyway, as there have been some changes since I packaged the download).

Be sure to read the readme. If you are on Windows you won't need to do anything special, but if you are using Linux let me know and I'll tell you what needs to be done.
Norfenstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you jcc7! Passing in the lib as you described made everything work properly. I was a little thrown off since the D compiler page at Digital Mars mentions a bunch of file types you can pass to the compiler but for some reason excludes .lib's, so I thought maybe they had to be passed to the linker with -L. Thankfully it's all much simpler.

Glad to say I also got OpenGL working with the files at D - Porting. The ones at DedicateD are too far out of date and wouldn't compile properly.

aldacron: I had briefly looked over Derelict while trying to solve this problem and decided I didn't want another layer to understand just yet. Looking briefly at it again, it seems like it could be valuable even after getting SDL and OpenGL to work, so I'll give it a go and see what it can do.
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfenstein wrote:
I had briefly looked over Derelict while trying to solve this problem and decided I didn't want another layer to understand just yet.

Derelict does not introduce another layer. In the abstract, it's no different than using the bindings from DedicateD. Technically, there's one minor differece. When using a Derelict package, you have to call a load function. Using the DerelictSDL package, for example, you would call:

DerelictSDL_Load();

This loads the dynamic library. You can wrap that in a try..catch block in case the library fails to load. That's the only difference. From that point on you can call SDL_* functions normally.

By implicitly linking to sdl.dll, as you do when using the DedicateD files, there's nothing you can do if the dll is missing. The user will get that nasty OS pop up message: "A required DLL..blahblahblah". Derelict gives you the ability to handle missing dlls at the application level, so you can do whatever you want on failure - write a log message, pop up a message box, fallback to a different API, direct the user to an error page on your website... whatever you need to do.

Derelict is just another option to the gazillion other bindings out there, and is particularly useful for those who don't want implicit linkage. Not many know about it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: