FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Division of Labor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Division of Labor Reply with quote

Since there seems to be a fair bit of interest in the success of DWT, here are a few questions in reference to it:

1) How many people are working on this project?

2) Who are they?

3) What is being done?

4) How are we going to organize who does what so that we don't have overlapping development?

5) How are we going to manage new volunteers?

6) What documentation will be prepared for the project?

It would probably be useful and desirable to have some of these questions answered soon.

I'm also thinking that we should have a class heirarchy chart of SWT made so that those involved can know, more or less at a glance, how things fit together. I started my own, but it's not very good, and I'm wondering if it would be better to have it in an html format so that it's easily browsable.

Can we discuss some of these items?
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Division of Labor Reply with quote

JJR wrote:

1) How many people are working on this project?

2) Who are they?

Ant and Andy Friesen did a bit of work, and Andy sent his back to me. It should be in svn (as of revision 4).

Currently, Steve Roy seems most active, although I want to get back in there.

JJR wrote:

3) What is being done?

Steve is trying to boil down the forward references down to a small example to submit to Walter. He was even talking about working on dwt.layout modules.

JJR wrote:

4) How are we going to organize who does what so that we don't have overlapping development?

Use this forum to accomplish this. I'm going to take Steve's code (when he's gotten a bit further), check it into SVN, and then put copyrights back on each file.

JJR wrote:

5) How are we going to manage new volunteers?

Again, thru this forum. John and I are the two people with "write" access to svn right now, but that will change as people consistently contribute changes to the project.

JJR wrote:

6) What documentation will be prepared for the project?

I'm also thinking that we should have a class heirarchy chart of SWT made so that those involved can know, more or less at a glance, how things fit together. I started my own, but it's not very good, and I'm wondering if it would be better to have it in an html format so that it's easily browsable.

Here's the Javadoc for SWT:
http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/documentation/2.0/html/plugins/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/api/overview-summary.html
evetsyor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that scary Razz

- Steve
evetsyor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my observation is that, inheritance in separate file only work on the fist one, as soon as i inherite a class from a already inherited one, i get forward reference issue.

Ex:

- Widget > Control > Button
- Widget > Composite > OleClientSite

If in the same file, it look to work. dunno if there is a problem or the guy on the chair is the problem Very Happy

- Steve
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can boil it down to a simple example, post it to the NG. Walter can see it and have a go at fixing it.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks Brad for posting that information. I wasn't sure what was going on with DWT outside my world.

Steve, my experience with the forward referencing was very confusing. What I did try to do was put a bunch of the classes in the same file to see if the forward references went away. Surprisingly they didn't. Circular inheritances and aggregates (in classes in the same file) still caused forward reference issues in the compiler. So the compiler seems to fail with this problem when symbols are referenced before their definition EVEN within the same module. I don't know why this is so, but it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.

Languages such as Modula-3 are designed so that you don't worry about forward references (at the expense of more compiler complexity). It looks like the D implementation hasn't figured it out yet for classes.

Hopefully, we can get a good simple example together to point out the issue clearly.
kris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
If you can boil it down to a simple example, post it to the NG. Walter can see it and have a go at fixing it.

I don't know if the root cause is the same, but this will generate a "class Foo is forward referenced" error:

Code:
int test(Foo.Something anything);

class Foo
{
        struct Something
        {
        }
}
evetsyor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the make generate me 32 .obj file now

im tired, going to bed now...................zzzzz

- Steve
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... looks interesting. Maybe this example is one to ask Walter about. It may relate in some way to the problem.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...32 object files is good! What's your secret? Smile

Sleep well,

John
evetsyor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different approach and some hacking Razz

- Steve
evetsyor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tryed new DMD 0.82

now where i had forward reference error, i get assertion in glue.c of the compiler....

- Steve
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you report it to Walter? Of course, I guess he expects a simplified example of the error, which might be hard to do.
evetsyor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye my example is ALL the files of the swt m8 version, it might be a bit big Razz

- Steve
evetsyor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a swt-3.0m8-win32.lib with 276 .obj in it. Very Happy

- Steve
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: