FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tango-fying Poseidon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLS

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Tango-fying Poseidon Reply with quote

A few notes/
I think we should start to Tango-fying the non visual parts of Poseidon first This is mainly :root/branches/poseidon/CodeAnalyzer
This is what I will do.

Tango-fying the GUI
I would like to do that

port the GUI to SWT (IMO we have to wait until SWT is more D like)
(beside Frank, have you seen Bobef s SWT event implementation ?)

Poseidon uses a propritary XML parser (based on Bobef s famous AKIDE) IMO we should use tango.xml instead. (whenever available)

Poseidon uses Windows INI files for some purposes, we should use XML instead.

Poseidon needs a modern Plugin-technologie . I would like to suggest to develop a Plugin API based on XML and DDL (whenever available)
Bobef can you hear me Smile

Opinions ?

Bjoern
bobef

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Poseidon uses a propritary XML parser (based on Bobef s famous AKIDE)

It is not proprietary. Use it for whatever reason you want, unless you are harming anyone. If you wait a bit more you will also be able to use Flower's Config class (read below), which is independent of the rest of the platform and is designed to store configuration files. Plus it has some really nice features like inheritance Smile To see what I mean download flower's beta and open "plugins\flower.debugger\styles.kfg". Take the "asm" template for instance. It inherits styles and settings from the "default" template, and also make use of some variables (in the keywords). I believe this format is very usable. It is very easy to use it programatically and even easier to write by hand. It doesn't contain closing tags so it is much faster to write by hand than XML. It is also capable of storing binary data which is hard with XML, but it will be very unreadable if you want to use it for web pages Smile

Quote:
Poseidon needs a modern Plugin-technologie . I would like to suggest to develop a Plugin API based on XML and DDL (whenever available)
Bobef can you hear me

Yeah man, I hear you Smile Check http://flowerplatform.com from time to time. When I complete the UI plugin for flower (which is responsible for dragging UI elements around and adding new ones) I will release the source of the framework. Plus I will start building the web site, so I will explain the whole design there. I suspect that my design won't fit Poseidon very well, because it is meant to be used with Flower. The whole plugin class is somethin like this

Code:
class Plugin
{
  this(char[] name,...,App app);
  int onLoad();
  int onUnload();
}

A plugin implements this class and exports a global function
Plugin getPluginInstance(App app). So the plugin does nothing, but it gets pointer to the application class which allows it to do anything... So you can use this for Poseidon but there won't be any benefit. I am not that familiar with Poseidon and I don't know how modular it is designed to be. On other hand you can take Poseidon and port it to the Flower platform, which is designed to be a modular developer platform. And it is also in DWT, so it won't be like porting it to MFC or something very different. But at this early stager I can't honestly recommend that. And again... run the Flower beta and see how nicely you can drag the interface. Imagine this functionality in Poseidon. And this is only 20% of what it is gonna be... Anyway. Probably in the next week Flower's site will contain more info than I can present here, plus the source will probably be available by then. And I will also have to port it to Tioport's SWT, which is not the real problem. The problem is Phobos->Tango.... And one can't start porting to Tango before using SWT, because DWT is Phobos. In the mean times things grow bigger.... But lets have patience...
keinfarbton

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the poseidon port, first priority is to have it working.
To minimize the work, for reaching this target, i want to use tangobos.
If poseidon works then on win32 AND linux, any further tangofication or modification of poseidon..? Lets see if we get it working anyway Smile
BLS

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keinfarbton wrote:
I think the poseidon port, first priority is to have it working.
To minimize the work, for reaching this target, i want to use tangobos.
If poseidon works then on win32 AND linux, any further tangofication or modification of poseidon..? Lets see if we get it working anyway Smile

Ahem : this implicates porting dejavu to tangobos...in case that you decide to make tangobos part of the SWT project I will drop out Sad

Meanwhile I have had a closer look at the Poseidon Sources, and what I can say so far is that the tango-fying work is doable. ('even by me)

Not happy
Bjoern
keinfarbton

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ahem : this implicates porting dejavu to tangobos...

No.
Tangobos uses tango, the rest of the application can also use tango. No problem.
It is made for doing incremental porting.

or did i miss something?
BLS

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keinfarbton wrote:
Quote:
Ahem : this implicates porting dejavu to tangobos...

No.
Tangobos uses tango, the rest of the application can also use tango. No problem.
It is made for doing incremental porting.

or did i miss something?

Whatever,
I will port the Poseidon sources to Tango, SWT/D .

nitty gritty dot
Bjoern
keinfarbton

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be awesome. The use of tangobos is only a temporary thing, and support can stop at every time. So porting to tango is a must anyway.
BLS

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Let us figure out a good .. Reply with quote

keinfarbton wrote:
This would be awesome. The use of tangobos is only a temporary thing, and support can stop at every time. So porting to tango is a must anyway.

Ok, I would like contact you by email to discuss further details.. (a.s.a.p. + 24h Smile

Have a nice weekend.
Bjoern
keinfarbton

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got poseidon to compile, but hundreds of link errors are left.
I don't know how to get tangobos to build on windows Confused
See branches/poseidon
keinfarbton

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more info about poseidon port here:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tioport/wiki/poseidon
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tioport All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: