FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it just me....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bane

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Is it just me.... Reply with quote

... or are there to many D standard libs?
Phobos, Tango, Ares....

Questions (I dont know answers, I just ask them):
- is Phobos limited by some license restrictions so it can't be used in open source/comercial/fill-your-need projects?
- does Phobos lacks in any features or quality AND is locked for development so new library must be created with freedom to add what YOU need?
- isn't most convinient library for use at the moment Phobos, beeing distributed with DMD complier/linker, there for first standard lib most of D learners will learn anyway?

I opt for Phobos as beeing first choice for me, becouse it is first & ready to use and is well documented lib. It might not be the best, but it is most CONVENIENT.

More questions:

- shouldn't it be more practical do merge efforts, build a plan and invest in ONE good standard library instead of 3+ (or more, I don't know).
- is JOY of reinventing wheel worth spamming D project sites with NEWEST all-over again-standard-libs and therefore putting new programmers in dilemma "which the heck should I use???"
- could it be that joy of PARTICIPATING in well thought and live project with great number of contributors is more satisfying than SOLO reinvening of wheel just to leave it as dead project couple months later?

I don't really get why are so many projects trying to make same thing. It is not practical. It is waste of resources.

Same thing with DProject sites. I think it would be GREAT to merge dsource, wiki4d and any other sites there are and make ONE that has all needed for D lovers.

Well, thats what's going around my mind lately...

And YES, I think diversity is great thing, best things allways come on top.
But one thing D rules over c/c++ is that it has formed rules. There are specs and there are no 999 implementations of same thing, ANSI xyz or whatever standars like in c/c++. Think standar lib should be like that.
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Ares and Mango are mostly inactive since they sort of merged along with some other folk to form Tango. Tango has quite a bit more functionality over phobos. Walter maintains phobos and I suppose it's up to him if he ever wants to ship tango as the standard D library. Tango formed mostly out of frustration with Phobos's slow development.

I guess starting a project is just more fun than joining one.
bane

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked Tango and must say it does have more features than Phobos. Myself needs couple of them, and I'll be glad to use them instead of writing my own implementation.

So we do have 2 great libs.

It would be better with other libs to have some notice about its status (Mango has great one liner "Mango has been integrated with the extensive Tango library" leaving visitor without dilemma where to look when he searches for standard lib. Ares and other libs might think to include some status report also.

I know it is most fun to start new project - it is great way for developer to learn things. Up to a point. After a while, experimenting solo just don't yields so much progress. Then it is best to join bunch of folks with equal or more experience - that is a place for learning Smile
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya bane,

I'm coming from the Tango camp, and as JoeCoder says, Tango (and Ares and Mango before it) was started with a frustration with Phobos development model and some particular design decisions. Tango and Phobos are quite different over all.

As for Ares and Mango vs Tango, I will ask their respective developers to clarify the current standing on the project pages. Ares is no longer developed, as it is fully merged with Tango, Mango is only partially merged and what didn't go in is still part of Mango. This means that Mango is now a project on top of Tango, providing especially server and clustering related functionality, in addition to some XML and ICU bindings.
bane

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Larsivi.

Thats exactly kind of information I would like to see on any projects home page. Makes so much easier to know what's project all about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: