FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DMD compiler with -od and -op flags?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJBananas

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: DMD compiler with -od and -op flags? Reply with quote

I'm trying to create separate directories for storing obj files, one for debug builds and one for release builds. So I use -odDebug and -odRelease, and that works fine. I would also like to retain the relative directories of the source tree so I use the -op flag, but this doesn't work, and examining the .rsp file show that the -op flag is not passed to the compiler at all.

By searching for "-op" in build.d, I notice that this seems to have been explicitly disabled (build.d:1758). (Although I haven't looked at the workings of this file enough to really understand what's happening, so I might be wrong). Is there a good reason this isn't allowed?
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DMD compiler with -od and -op flags? Reply with quote

JJBananas wrote:

By searching for "-op" in build.d, I notice that this seems to have been explicitly disabled ... Is there a good reason this isn't allowed?

Yes there is.

"-od<X>" means store the object files in <X>

"-op" means store an object file in the same directory as its source file.

There are mutually exclusive - you can't do both, unless <X> is the same place as where all the source files reside.

It is a commonly assumed that "-op" means store files relative to the source directories, but that is not the case.

I wish there was an option in DMD to specify a base path and then get all the object files to be stored realtive to that base according to the 'source' path. The only way I can do this with the current DMD is to compile each source file separately, specifying the target directory with -od<Y> where I 'calculate' <Y> based on the absolute source path and the base path supplied by yet another switch ...

For example, if the I have source files ...
Code:

c:\myproject\file1.d
  f:\standard\utils\someutil.d
  c:\bobs\packages\foo.d

and you supplied the base directory as "e:\temp\obj"

I would have to compile each file separately, specifying ...
Code:

dmd -ode:\temp\obj\c_drive\myproject\  c:\myproject\file1.d
  dmd -ode:\temp\obj\f_drive\standard\utils f:\standard\utils\someutil.d
  dmd -ode:\temp\obj\c_drive\bobs\packages  c:\bobs\packages\foo.d

rather than have DMD compile all three files in one execution.

This is something I'm planning to do for a future release of Bud.
JJBananas

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense.

After reading what you said about the -op flag I experimented a bit, and I understand why you have disallowed it in the general case. Absolute paths, or even relative paths that point above the current path, can case trouble.

It turns out that what I was panning to do would work, I think, as long as I only used relative paths, below the current directory. Personally I would consider any files in directories above the current one to be separate libraries that need to be compiled separately and then linked in, but I understand why you want to prevent problems for people who do do it that way.

Overall, it's only a minor inconvenience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: