FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i feel it can be a gui development toolkit too

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: i feel it can be a gui development toolkit too Reply with quote

today i use svn co the element (the next generation of terra?<-- mozilla's statement of firefox is next generation browser of netscape.... Very Happy )

few comments:

the advantages of it, i think maybe :
1. fast, small , platform independent.
2. exactly the same look in all platform.(from the glance in the code and description provided not sure)
3. the amount of the code is quite few now. <-- efficient i think. and dev friendly.( but i wonder a description the relation between terra and zephyr)

disadvantage
1. won't change the theme style as the other gui apps (maybe advantage? just up to how u think)
2. haven't rich development docs, examples.(but the demo provided is very exciting. we can see a textured teapot including gui in only 3m size it's very impressive I think)
3. not in mature stage yet.
trevorparscal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidl, in response to your comments...

Quote:
1. fast, small , platform independent.

Thats the idea.
Quote:
2. exactly the same look in all platform.

Totally, not to say you couldn't simulate native styles.
Quote:
3. the amount of the code is quite few now.<-- efficient i think. and dev friendly.

Since the rewrite, the code is now in D Style Guide compliance, and the organization is less abstract and more logical. Also, using templates has reduced code size, and thus increased developer friendliness since theres less to read to get comfortable, and less to screw up Smile
Quote:
( but i wonder a description the relation between terra and zephyr)

OK, Zephyr is a bunch of controls and a theme system. Without Zephyr, Terra still works, but to get buttons and stuff, you need some kind of GUI system, and Zephyr is the standard one (and I hope people make others someday that do cool stuff, which is why I seperate things)
Quote:
1. won't change the theme style as the other gui apps

You can change the theme however you wish, and the best part is, it's all CSS (sorta) and PNG images, so it's quite easy.
Quote:
2. haven't rich development docs, examples.

Indeed there aren't docs yet, and thats certainly a project to be undertaken soon, but I am personally passionate about documentation and will be creating some of the better docs out there (I hope) in time.
Quote:
3. not in mature stage yet.

No doubt. But than again, neither is D (but it's getting there)

All in all, I've taken a summer break, and look forward to getting some major things done with element this winter.

Thanks for your comments and interest.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dubuila

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Is element ready to be used to build a large application GUI ?

Regards,
Laurent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Element All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: