FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relationship between delegates and controls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miglo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Relationship between delegates and controls Reply with quote

Hi,

I have studied some DFL examples played with them a little bit around and tried to find the appropriate members in the documentation.
I was able to use some of the delegates of the "Control" class like e.g. "resize" to get events if a Form object has changed its size.
Currently I don't see the relationship between the "Control" class and the "Form" class when I am browsing through the documentation.

"Form" is derived from "ContainerControl" but from "ContainerControl" I can not see any "connection" to the "Control" class itself and its Event handlers (delegates if I am right).

Could someone please light me a little bit?

Regrads,
Miglo
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Relationship between delegates and controls Reply with quote

The documentation can be quite hard to follow; I intend on fixing it up in the near future.

Control -> ScrollableControl -> ContainerControl -> Form
miglo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help.

I had to create a drawing to get a better imagination of the dependencies. I did not recognize the "ScrollableControl" in the long list of classes because it was out of the visible area of the browser. This was the missing key.

Why is the api so less documentated?
What about doxygen, javadoc or the way how the wxWidgets project is doing it. They have a great documentation.
I don't wanna be disrespectful because it was/is surely a lot of work inside DFL but a good documentation makes a developer more productive, brings faster results and makes of course more fun working with the api. It makes it easier to get familiar with the framework for experienced as well as for less experienced programmers.
So, from my point of view a well written documentation is very important for a framework (to get a lot of fans/to get popular).

I guess I have seen somewhere on the webpage a ToDo list with the item about planned LayoutManager (-> [partial] Scaling - votes: none).
How is the status? Is it in the planning/implementation phase or already finished?

-miglo-
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For much of the early development of DFL, ddoc didn't exist yet, and the doxygen "support" for D would choke on DFL's source. I have slowly started adding ddoc comments to DFL, but it's just not enough yet; it would have been easier from the start. I am, however, trying to improve DFL's online documentation; my next planned layout update should make a big difference.

- Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: