FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UDT ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: UDT ... Reply with quote

If I ported/binded this http://sourceforge.net/projects/udt/ to D, then would dnet use it as it's backend ?

See http://www.cs.uic.edu/~ygu1/doc/faq.htm for more info on UDT.

Quote:

3. Why and when do I need UDT?

The original (and major) purpose of UDT is to provide a high performance transfer interface to distributed data intensive applications over a wide area network, where TCP seldom works well for efficiency and fairness reasons. It can also be used in other situation where TCP is not suitable (e.g., multimedia streaming, firewall punching, partial reliability, etc.)

There is no explicit standard to determine when to use UDT or when not to. Generally speaking, if you are not satisfied with TCP's performance or functionality, UDT is probably what you need, especially in high speed networks where a small number of bulk sources share the abundant bandwidth.

Also some inspiration

http://www.thehostingnews.com/news-networks-storage-solutions-from-datadirect-win-bandwidth-challenge-awards-2954.html

Quote:

January 15, 2007 - Network storage solutions firm, DataDirect Networks' S2A9550, the HPC storage solution of choice by the National Center for Data Mining (NCDM) at UIC, also won this year's Bandwidth Challenge at SuperComputing '06, held in Tampa, Florida.

The S2A9550 also powered the 2nd and 3rd place winners, Cal Tech and Indiana University. A team of experts from the University of Illinois at Chicago's NCDM, Northwestern University and Johns Hopkins University won the 7th annual Bandwidth Challenge by transporting the 1.3 TB Sloan Digital Sky Survey Data (SDSS) from the University of Illinois at Chicago to the SC'06 floor at Tampa with a sustained data transfer rate of 8Gb/s over a 10GbE link, and a peak rate of 9.18 Gb/s. The data set was the BESTDR5 catalog data set from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and when compressed consisted of 60 files of about 23 GB each and totaling 1.3 TB. The technology that made this easy was an open source peer-to-peer storage solution, powered by DataDirect's high performance S2A9550, called SECTOR that NCDM. SECTOR is built using UDT, an open source high performance network transport protocol designed to distribute large e-science data sets such as the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. This was a major new milestone that demonstrated that it is now practical for working scientists to transfer large data sets from disk-to-disk over long distances using a 10GbE network versus traditional physical mail carriers. Additionally, DataDirect's S2A9550 high performance storage system also enabled the 2nd and 3rd place winners of the Bandwidth Challenge.
Dima-san

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus
Quote:
The original (and major) purpose of UDT is to provide a high performance transfer interface to distributed data intensive applications over a wide area network, where TCP seldom works well for efficiency and fairness reasons.

Networked games try to send as least data as possible, with minimum delay, although sometimes there is a need in sending large datasets (read: file downloads).
I've glanced at UDT and it seems like it is not intended for such use. Correct me if I am wrong.
bane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from http://www.cs.uic.edu/~ygu1/doc/faq.htm

Quote:

15. Is UDT only suitable for bulk data?

No, UDT can transfer a data buffer from one single byte to multiple tera-bytes, as long as your system can provide enough resources. However, UDT is indeed optimized for bulk data, and it may not have any better performance for message signaling applications.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> dnet All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: