FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please - why isn't this lmn file working?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamerChad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Help please - why isn't this lmn file working? Reply with quote

As a pedagogical exercise, I decided to try and match a very basic subset of the #define and #undef c preprocessor patterns. To make sure it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, I try to have it replace all of the #define and #undef lines with "Define Here!\n" and "Undef here!n".

This doesn't work though; it compiles, but when run on an input file, it simple outputs nothing.

Code:

.cpp(10L)
    - out   <- eof - ;

- nl    <- eof - '\n';
    - slws  <- nl - ' ';

- cppMacro define <- slws - "Define here!\n";
    - cppMacro undef  <- slws - "Undef here!n";

'#' { option slws } 'define' slws identifier slws literal    { option slws } nl <- cppMacro define;
    '#' { option slws } 'define' slws identifier slws identifier { option slws } nl <- cppMacro define;
    '#' { option slws } 'undef'  slws identifier { option slws } nl                 <- cppMacro undef;

.cpp(12L)
    - hspace { repeat hspace } <- cppMacro - slws;  // same line white space

.cpp(18L)
    .[_a-zA-Z] { repeat .[_a-zA-Z0-9] } <- identifier;
    .[0-9]     { repeat .[0-9] }        <- literal;

.cpp(20L)
    '\r'    <- nl;
    '\n'    <- nl;

.cpp()
    .[\r\n] <- nl;
    ' '     <- hspace;
    '\t'    <- hspace;

Here's the input file I ran it on:
Code:
abc

#  define abc 3

<insert some random text here>

# undef abc

abc

Any idea what's wrong?

I don't think I'll even be able to understand why the thing works, I just need to get some working design patterns going so I can write useful stuff with lm. At that point I can probably start figuring out details and understanding what is actually going on, as I did when I (successfully) learned imperative/procedural programming.

TIA
gamerChad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd mention:
As unlikely as I thought it was, I think my problems might be due to modifications I made to lm in my attempts to make it compile. See my other recent post for details. I'll see how this goes when I manage to get gdc working.
gamerChad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I worked around that. My setup is working now, and I made a simple hello world type program in lmn. It works and produces correct output. My cpp-ish code in the original post still doesn't produce any output, and I'd still like to know why Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Language Machine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: